myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Westabo heating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bovine View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bovine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2017 at 21:23
Hi Jon
One of my past yachts had a wabastow heater and that used to shut down, I never did get to the bottom of it.
My current heater is a aberspacher which does not have that problem, however the lack of heat forward is a problem.
David
Niels View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 11:08
When I bought JUNIK in 2009 I was advised that I needed 2 heaters 1 for main saloon and aft cabins and one for marster and heads, I was thinking at the time it was over the top but today I'm pleased I did get 2 as I haven't had any problems with heating the boat, I know it is a lot of monies to retrofit another but it pays of in the end here in winter time.
Mine are 2 x Airtronic M 3000 Eberspacer
Niels
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 20:33
Evening Niels,

I understand that boats of 45' + now come with two heater units, they've realised that one unit doesn't do it.  So your correct, one serves the master cabin and it's en-suite if that's the layout chosen and one serves the rear cabins, saloon & saloon heads.

My thoughts are to provide assistance to the single unit we have by introducing an in line fan, to help draw the heat/air forward.  What I need to happen is for the unit to run without cutting out, so there may be an underlying fault with the unit.  Once I can get it to run consistently without cutting out, then I can continue to replace the ducting and keep taking measurements of the velocity & temperature at the outlets.

What's disconcerting is the lack of input (for now) Webasto is making regarding their product.  I'll give them every opportunity to assist me in getting it to run as intended.  I'll not take any prisoners if they fail to show professionalism and get it working as it should.
Jon B
470e
http://www.norse-king.blogspot.co.uk
Niels View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 20:44
I understand your concerns John as you described even with a open duct and minimal velocity it still cuts out it doesn't sound right to me unless the suction side is blocked as well sought not likely.
Happy new year can't wait until the new sailing season hope you get it fixed.
R Niels
Niels
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 22:37
And a happy new year to you and all us Hanse supporters.

I'm sure there's a simple answer and may be we don't use our boats enough to get to the bottom of some of our issues.  I understand the laws of unintended consequences, Hanse may have appointed Webasto as they do other manufacturers to supply equipment to their models.  It's a new field and therefore not fully understood at the time of release, but you'd think that development doesn't stop.  The manufacturers Webasto or Eberspatcher ought to be monitoring their systems to ensure future product development, rather than be short sighted with past sales made.

I live in the UK, and so the climate is such that it needs a gentle hand to make it more bearable to sail during certain times of the year.  Lining the cabin with all the pillows we have and sleeping under two duvets is a discussion to have, but the experience is not so enjoyable.

We're blessed with beautiful boats, even if not all the equipment is up to expectation.  It is up to us to bring them down a peg or two and pull them in line.  If they're not prepared to assist, then we need to tell the industry how crap they are !

Fair winds.
Jon B
470e
bovine View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bovine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2017 at 19:32
Good evening Jon
I think it's possible your heater is shutting down because of over heating, due to the lining of the ducting partially blocking the air flow
David
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2017 at 20:58
I would try to run the heater without any ducting connected. If it stops working there as well then you know where your are....
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 09:17
Experiments to date are :-

I've replaced the length of duct from the heater to the first Y junction in the rear cabin (port side, same side as the unit), with new and insulated it, it has a free discharge and not connected to the downstream duct. I've run the heater with the dial (thermostat) at 3'o'clock, it goes through its starting cycle ok and runs with 102.6C and 8.5m/s velocity for a couple of hours then shuts down, with the resultant 2 flashing of the arrow.

If the thermostat cut in then I'd expect the heater to 'back off' not shut down or am I wrong in my assumptions ?

When this happens I can, after a pause, turn the dial off for a couple of seconds and have just the fan running only.  This I did until no more warm air came from the heater.  I can then fire up the unit once more and it'll run again.

I've run it at 3'0'clock again, then turned the thermostat down (anticlockwise) so the arrow points to 12'o'clock.  The fan does what I expect and the fan reduces speed (and another assumption is that the fuel pump probably delivers less by slowing down too), but then the amps drop off and the unit shuts down again.

Yesterday, I reset it at around 10'0'clock, so it was on with no flashing lights, and left it overnight.  Last nights ambient temperature was around 3C and whilst I do have two electric heaters, they will only provide a background heat and raise it another 7C internally.  Today I'll go and check to see if it has run over night, or with luck is still running.

Once I can get the thing to run without hesitation, then I'll connect the ducting down stream, which I'm looking to replace with new together with the insulating blanket.

I've sent various e-mails to the manufacturer here in the UK, with the various scenarios to date and hopefully they will come back after their Christmas break and have some helpful comments.  I am looking to replace the dial thermostat with the modern digital version as this will enable it to be programmed to come on.  This modification would instantly remove any possibility of the old device causing an issue.

Has anyone replaced the ducting retrospectively and if so does it have to be re-routed adjacent to the heads rather than follow the existing route beneath ?
Jon B
470e
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 21:42
Hi Jon, I have the Eberspaecher unit, so I am not really familiar with your Webasto. I have the 1st junction in the main duct going to the aft cabin. The second Y goes to the main outlet underneath the companionway which you can not close. The 3 rd Y ( already 63 mm ) goes to the shower/toilet outlet and finally I have the forecabin outlet ( which is not effective ).
When I close accidentally the aft cabin outlet the heater will switch off after 20 - 30 mins.
Frank
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 22:25
Thanks Frank,

Which all makes sense.

Boats of 40' + are too big for a single diesel fired heater system, which is why new builds have two, one serves the forecabin only.

Also what you say is similar in that the units have an overheating sensor which triggers if air flow is restricted causing a high back pressure and not allowing heat to move away from the unit.  The units themselves are not that different in design, simple & basic.

This is why my thoughts of fitting an in line variable speed fan, which pull the heated air away from the unit and push it towards the fore cabin (master cabin), should work.  I'm of the belief that providing I'm not trying to super heat the compartments, I should be able to regulate the heat throughout by adjusting the thermostat (unit) and the variable speed fan in unison to at least get something other than anticipation out of the vent at the front.

I'll continue to work it out, all comments are appreciated.  It's only by understanding what other people have gone through that a bigger picture can be provided and solutions can be made.
Jon B
470e
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>