myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Cruising
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Berthing in Palma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SausalitoDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Berthing in Palma
    Posted: 08 February 2017 at 06:30
Hi:

Thinking of renting a slip in Marina de Mallorca.  I have never been there.  Any comments?

It would be a home base in the Western Med for one year.  Seems centrally located and reasonably priced, given the area.

Dave
Hanse 505
Festina Lente

charentebob View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charentebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2017 at 06:44
Mallorca has a reputation for being expensive but I guess it is fairly central. Which places are you thinking of cruising? Have you considered going a bit further East? We are based for winter berthing in Marina di Ragusa in SW Sicily. It is one of the cheapest places in the Med. Very safe sheltered Marina with a large live-aboard community in the winter.
We are cruising Greek waters which are a 2-day sail away. If you want more info please ask.
Nigel
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2017 at 09:48
hi Dave, Palma is indeed one of the most expensive places in the Med ( same prcing as Antibes, Monaco, Porto Cervo et al. ) Have a look at moorings in Barcelona , Alicante or between Malaga and Gibraltar. These ports are only a 24 h sail away from the Baleares Islands, which are terribly crowded in July and August. Barcelona has direct flights to the USA. Rember that you have to leave the EU every 18 Months if yor are sailing under US flag in order to avoid paying VAT. From Southern Spain you can do this virtually within a day.
Frank
SausalitoDave View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SausalitoDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2017 at 04:05
Nigel and Frank:

Thank you for your comments.  Price is not a major issue for me (thank you to Silicon Valley); that said, I am not out to waste money.  I am looking for a fantastic place to call home for year one.  Next year I will find a home in the Eastern Med and then sail the ARC in 2018.  Is Palma a place where I am going to have access to great facilities, good restaurants, and a fun night-life, or am I better off somewhere else?  I plan to do one and two week trips around the Western Med in 2017, and it seems to be very centrally located.  Feel free to PM me.  

Thanks as always for you sage advice.

Dave
Hanse 505
Festina Lente
cwetto View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 12:29
Originally posted by SausalitoDave SausalitoDave wrote:

Nigel and Frank:
Thank you for your comments.  Price is not a major issue for me (thank you to Silicon Valley); that said, I am not out to waste money.  I am looking for a fantastic place to call home for year one.  Next year I will find a home in the Eastern Med and then sail the ARC in 2018.  Is Palma a place where I am going to have access to great facilities, good restaurants, and a fun night-life, or am I better off somewhere else?  I plan to do one and two week trips around the Western Med in 2017, and it seems to be very centrally located.

Lucky you, serviced by Silicon Valley :)
Anyway, 300 miles to E, Sardinia (Costa Smeralda) is another options, great facilities, good restaurants, and a fun night-lif, great scenery, awesome outdoor to explore. But deserted in winter. Except Porto Cervo, affordable prices.
I heard about 25k+ price tag for bearth in Palma (50+ footer) :( 
Cwetto
Hanse 540e 2007, sailing Med
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 14:34
Sardinia is difficult to reach from the San Francisco area. You will need at least 2 stops, one of them in strike prone Roma Fiumicino, total travel time is 24 hours.

Palma can be reached via Frankfort with 1 stop in 15 hours.
Frank
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SausalitoDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 16:04
Excellent point

Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 18:55
Seasoned Traveller advice :)

But Barcelona ( BTW fabulous city ) can be reached also with one stop in the US, then next leg either with one of the US legacy carriers (brrr ) or switch to Iberia. Assume you are TSA pre approved, changing planes somewhere on the East Coast should be a piece of cake for you

Edited by Fendant - 13 February 2017 at 18:58
Frank
gertha View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 22:12
Palma, about 30 k euro or dollar for your size of boat; but not easy to find a space .
Prity city on a lovely island; but July and august about 100000000 tourists that should be 10 million , so not every bodies idea of heaven
I would use Barcelona bigger city with more to see and do then hop out to islands.
If you can find a slip in French Riviera and have the cash that would be more fun.
Just my idea and not everyone will agree.

Simon
Swanned off
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SausalitoDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 23:39
Thanks Simon:  I don't plan to stay in Palma more than a month.  We will have just completed a 3800 mile sail, so I am sure there will be work to do and repairs to be made.  I am thinking after Palma of going to Barcelona, Southern France, then Corsica and/or Sardinia.  The following year, we will head east to Croatia.  We are very excited but will miss sailing our 505 during "sunny" San Francisco summers.

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>