myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inside of the Fuel Tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inside of the Fuel Tank
    Posted: 26 February 2017 at 21:42
I always try to fill up with good fuel and bug inhibitor.  Nevertheless, at 12 years old the fuel tank onboard Grey Goose was overdue inspection.  So I ran it comparitively low at the end of that last season, then let the diesel heater remove the remainder during visits through the winter.  I wasn't looking forwards to this job however I got around to opening it up today and it wasn't too bad. Thought I'd share some shots.  From the markings on the tank it appears this tank is used on both the 370 and the 400 of 2005 vintage.

First one looking vertically into the tank shows the remainder of the fuel and just a small amount of debris.  So in a pretty good state for holding fuel for 12 years.  Second shot is looking rearward with camera in the tank opening and you can see the cross-sectional shape of the tank quite well (hence the non-linear gauge readings).  Third shot (after some mild cleaning) is looking to starboard and shows the fuel pickups and gauge sensor.

Smelly job but not too messy!  The other upside of doing it was the chance to calibrate the gauge. Approx 30L equates to just a hair under half-full on the standard Calira panel gauge.

Mark

Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
harveymolly View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harveymolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 08:27
We also have a Hanse 400 called Grey Goose 2011.

We had experienced numerous fuel blockage problems from new. Finally now solved by totally cleaning out the tank twice after sweeping 3 times failed to resolved the problem.We have finally worked out the cause. - In order to install the heating system it is necessary to drill into the fuel tank to create a fuel supply, which resulted in the drill debris and sealant getting into the fuel tank causing feathering and/or engine failure.

Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 08:35
Your tank looks very clean for a 12 year old tank!
One question: Could you reuse the sealant of the inspection hatch or did you mount a new one! If so, what material did you use?

Edited by Peter-Blake - 27 February 2017 at 10:42
Blake 370
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 11:24
Re Sealant. Good question. I was wondering myself! The main seal is the large rubber o-ring you can see on photo 3. The yard seem to have supplemented it with a thin smear of clear sealant. I'm guessing RTV sealant. While I've put the cover in place I've yet to apply anything else. I was waiting on a trip to chandlers and industrial auto factors to decide on the final sealant.

Mark
alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 12:26
I open the tank hatch every year from 2006 till 2017 and i have never replaced the seal.
I Always make it wet with a little diesel.
Work well at my boat.
btw , my tank is also as clean as on this photos.
gr marcel
Kids Dingys 72-79 ,Several Windsurfboards 79-86 OK dingy competitions 86-92 , Trotter Pandora Race 92-98, Friendship 28 Sport 98-05, Hanse 370 06-......
Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 12:50
thanks mark

and thanks marcel for your answer.
But why do you open it every year?
I wanted to open it this year after 10 years use.

Is there any reason for a anual inspection?
Or is it just so easy?

Edited by Peter-Blake - 27 February 2017 at 12:52
Blake 370
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 13:26
It's really a very easy job so long as the tank is not full and the boat is sitting flat. Access on the 400 is very easy. With the obvious caution around making good the seal, it only takes a few minutes to open the hatch and check the contents. In an ideal world it would be nice to have a see through inspection hatch though :-)

Mark
alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 07:39
I clean my tank every year to be sure there is no polution in it.
With the diesel you buy these days you can not be to carefull.
Have had a bacteria in the beginning wenn we just had the boat for a year and almost had a engine failure.
so now I clean it every beginning of the season.
gr Marcel
Kids Dingys 72-79 ,Several Windsurfboards 79-86 OK dingy competitions 86-92 , Trotter Pandora Race 92-98, Friendship 28 Sport 98-05, Hanse 370 06-......
Borjebus View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borjebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2017 at 21:43
Mark,

How did you proceed to calibrate the gauge, and what was the result?
BÄSK, Hanse 370e #82 from 2006, Yanmar 3JH4E/SD50, 3-blade Flexofold, RMC(Lewmar) 185 Bowthruster, Vulcan 9, Simrad+B&G instruments
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2017 at 11:07
Borjebus - very low tech calibration. I had 28L of fuel in jerry cans so just filled with that amount. As 28L is a good operational reserve I just simply wanted to know what point that is on the gauge. That gave a reading at just under half-way on the gauge. I haven't yet refuelled above that but will pump in 25L at a time and note the reading when I do. The tank is more square as the fuel volume rises. So there's more likely to be a proportional'ish reading on the second half of the gauge.

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>