myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Improving electrical systems on board

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Improving electrical systems on board
    Posted: 05 March 2017 at 11:45
Hi Hanse owners !

Over the last years, we improved several aspects of the electrical systems (storage/production/consumption) on our Hanse 430 to get a much better autonomy at sea.

We tried to keep it simple (and cost effective) ; we started from the most obvious and tried to cover all aspects.

We summed-up everything in this blog post: power on board our sailboat
Check it out to get all the details!

Changes we did involve: fridge, lights, solar panels, batteries, navigation electronics, etc.

We're quite happy with the current state so we want to share what we've done. What have you done on your side ? What should we be fixing next ?

In the idea to avoid installing an inverter, our next plan is to install a 19 Volt (90 Watts) circuit on board (laptop chargers, various chargers, etc.)

Please give us feed-back and share your tricks with us!

Best regards,
nibheis
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 15:32
Thank you very much for the most valuable insights. I wonder if somebody has fitted the smart energy control to the Hanse specific designed fridge with the top loader and front door. To me putting the temp sensor and the thermostat inside the little freezer compartment is a plain stupid thermal design. On the other hand the accessability to the compressor unit hidden below the back part of the fridge might prevent the Installation of the better energy control.
Frank
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 15:51
Hi Fendant,

Yes, we did fit the "smart energy control" on our (otherwise) unmodified fridge (front and top loading).
We put the temp sensor under the tray (on port side), in a spot that is relatively unaffected by the air flow when opening (and NOT in the freezer) - we simply followed the instructions.
The thermostat (the controlling knob) is now located right below the gas valve (outside the fridge, that is).

I agree, locating the knob "inside" the fridge makes it more exposed to involuntary changes.

Concerning the installation of the "smart energy control", if I recall correctly, it has not been easy: access through the small locker with the gas valve. Only one arm/hand... but surprisingly, I made it :-)
I had to use a mirror: the pins are facing port side.

It was definitively not the most difficult work I had to do on board

Best regards,
nibheis
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 16:11
Nibheis, merci infiniment. These are useful tips! I will have a look when I get back to the boat in a couple of weeks. Good advice about the mirror and probably good lighting in the "cavern".
Frank
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 13:12
Hi again, Hanse owners !

Due to the positive feedback we got from our first post, here is our second post on the 'improvements' we made: electronics on board our sailboat

As you guessed, this covers the electronics and our tries to get more out of it, using less power.

Here is a sum-up of our current electronics on board:

electronics (as of 2017) - PDF

For more details, check the blog post.

As usual, we encourage you to give us feedback and to share your tricks!

Best regards,
nibheis

Edited by nibheis - 14 March 2017 at 13:13
 Post Reply Post Reply