myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 345/348
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is 345 slow?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2018 at 22:44
Thank you all for the tips.

Frank, any advice on the dyneema rope?

richz View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2018 at 22:45
BTW I replaced the cam for the main halyard and it was an easy job, thanks for the advice taken from this forum.

mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 16:28
Originally posted by richz richz wrote:

Thank you all for the tips.

Frank, any advice on the dyneema rope?
I am not Frank but here is my opinion

I replaced most my lines with dyneema, light, strong, easy on hands. Only exception was main sheet where I want a bit of stretch if it gets "puffy".
Expensive though, although I found a local shop that sells wholesale at Toronto Boat show.  
mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
richz View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 20:59
Hi mp, i am indeed thinking of replacing some of my lines with dyneema, but there are a lot of different producers and kinds that I got lost.
Any advice? Thanks

Brickbat View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brickbat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 21:36
I have put in my first season with a new 348. I have been sailing with a furling main and the self tacking jib and find it anything but slow. The performance data published by Hanse has proved out to be pretty much right on target. Although we don't race, it is faster than other comparable sized monohulls we sail with. 
Although my wife and I bought it for the self-tacking design to extend our sailing a few years,the performance has been a surprise. It also tracks very well in our choppy Great Lakes, which we were originally worried about.

S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2018 at 00:25
Brickbat makes a good point about how well these boats track in heavy weather, and how light the helm remains.  The benefits of the self-tacker may be very apparent but those seeking a boat that can be sailed single-handed or with a less experienced crew will also gain from these attributes.  I have never had Ningaloo round up in gusts, and crew that have sailed on my previous boat comment on the difference.
Any drawbacks of the self-tacker in light winds or off-wind conditions can be rectified with an asymmetric or similar.   I managed my asymmetric single handed across Lyme Bay on one memorable early morning passage this year. 
Although I tend to use 6kts as a realistic average speed for passage planning, I have just looked over my log for the year and can see that I have achieved an average of 7kts or more on some 100NM+ passages with the right conditions.  
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2018 at 08:27
A point made by Panos some years ago when owners suggesting doing away with the 2:1 jib sheet to the ST is that it puts greater load on the mast sheave, the deck block & organiser etc. On larger boats it may be worth upgrading the deck block at the mast base at the same time to avoid failure in the future.
If one thinks about it the theoretical load  increase is double, (in practice probably less) which is a big increase
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2018 at 13:34
Hi Rich, I used a 10 mm braided silver/blue one.
I saw this when I visited a boat shop on one of my trips and they had this one on sale as the manufacturer ( Liros or Gleistein ) had discontinued this color.  They had just the right 20 meter+ left over in stock at a 50% discounted priceSmile, so I went for it. Have never regretted the decision.
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123