myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ST Jib sheet snapped below deck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ST Jib sheet snapped below deck
    Posted: 16 April 2017 at 06:54
When I was replacing the self tacker jib sheet I discovered the reason it broke..... the sheeve for the below deck turning block is missing. Probably broken by the previous owner and unnoticed because it is hidden. The jib sheet has always felt difficult to obtain enough tension for the way we like to trim and we have been considering going to the two to one system. All the friction on the peg with no sheeve was obviously the problem.
Anyhow, I must now remove the deck cover piece to replace the sheeve. Can anyone tell me.... are all the screws into captive nuts, or do I need to remove head linings insde the boat ??

Cheers, lee
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 13:18
Hi, you can remove the deck cover pieces from above, no need to remove head linings, but depending if they have ever been removed before you may find they are bonded down with silicon as well. The standard 415 jib sheet comes with a 2:1 system, i.e pulley on the clew run to a pulley with a becket on the traveller. Downside is more friction when you furl it, but better control on the trimming.
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
lee View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 00:24
Thank's Paul, have already done the 2:1 and it works fine run above deck at the moment. We have one more race to do in a series of 9 which we are leading......and will then lift the deck and repair.

Ps. Found the furler works so so much easier if the halyard tension is released.....

Cheers, lee

Edited by lee - 17 April 2017 at 00:26
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 16:34
The 415 is likely the same as the 400 in this regard - spinlock deck organizer with plastic sheaves. These quickly broke on the high load lines - main halyard, jib halyard in particular. You can replace them with an alloy sheave that will take higher load. When you initially pull the organizer off the deck you don't think they are individually replaceable but they are....
https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/categories/organisers-1/spares

Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
lee View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 10:26
Removed all the deck screws. Big length of wood as a lever. Lots of straining and flexing of deck cover. Deck cover still held firmly in place by whatever glue, sikaflex or silicone was used by the factory..........

I will return with a heat gun and try to soften the glue next........all this for a plastic sheeve that probably should have been alloy in the first place.....

Dont break a deck organiser while crossing an ocean........
Simon L View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 13:22
I'm sure you've seen it, but when you put it back together don't forget to fill the screw holes under the cover with sealant, since they go through the deck.  I wouldn't use sikaflex, as you want to be able to get it up again.  Mine came up pretty easily, and I'm sure that it hadn't been up since she was built. 
lee View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 07:19
All fixed. Replaced with an alloy sheave.
Made a chisel / knife from a piece of steel 500 x 30 x 2 mm. Ground the end to a fine sharp edge on one side only. Used wooden wedges and slowly tapped my long chisel into the glue spots surrounding the track screws.....slow but sure process.......that glue surely was strong..

Thanks for your responses guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply