myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

emergency tiller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RolandHaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: emergency tiller
    Posted: 19 April 2017 at 22:20
Hi,
all screws of the plastic fitting on the emergency tiller except one are broken. Did anybody have a similar experience and any advise on how that can happen/which risk it imposes?
bovine View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bovine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 23:14
Hi , the only way this could happen is crevice corrosion. Water has got down the bolt holes and stagnated
RolandHaas View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RolandHaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 09:48
Thank you.
Do you think that the rudder must have hit something in order for the screws to break. There is also no rost on the screws. 
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 13:00
They may have been over tightened at manufacture in the factory. This may have happened if the operative had used an air operated impact wrench with the torque setting too high. If the screws had been bedded in sikaflex no one would have known afterwards & the operative may have not bothered to change the broken bolts.
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
bovine View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bovine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 20:03
Look closely at the break has it got tiny worm like holes.
Because of the type of bolt it would be very difficult to over tighten, did you feel them break when undoing them?
David
RolandHaas View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RolandHaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 23:59
I bought recently the  boat and just started to sail. The screws were all broken except one, just realized that as one screw was out, then I checked the others but all were broken, so no tightning from my side. I wonder if former owner might have hit something with the rudder and that broke the screws?
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 21:38
In my case I had the same problem from first day.
My H575 is one of the first.
I continuously was finding the bolts partially unscrewed and had to screw them tight very often.
No one had ever been broke though.
What could be happened in your case is that the bolts were almost completely unscrewed and then eventually broke do to excessive load.
I am quite sure that this does not depends to having hit something with the rudder.

In my case I completely resolved this issue using longer bolts and installing self locking nuts from the other lover side you can access from the aft cabins.
I put large washers before the nuts to avoid damages to fiberglass.

As I did not had any broken bolts this solution was quite simple, to take out the broken bolts could be very difficult and help from an expert mechanic may be needed.
Jode7 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jode7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 10:50
Question.
My boat did not come with an emergency tiller to couple onto the top of the rudder post as shown above. Was I supposed to have one supplied with the boat or is this an option I needed to buy? When I purchased the boat I was told that each wheel worked independently of each other and an emergency tiller was not required which seemed a little strange to me especially when there is provision for one to go down through the cockpit floor and onto the top of the rudder stock. I have never removed the cover off the top of the rudder stock to see what was in there.
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 14:49
Same for me, no tiller.

I think the part on top of the rudder who is creating us some problems is not for that use.
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 15:29
John,

I think the round bar on the top of the rudder is used for lifting the rudder up into place. We were told the same thing about the independent wheels and so no requirement for an emergency tiller. In the first few months of having our boat the drive chain came off the drive for the stbd side wheel and the port side still worked. Obviously the top of the rudder can not be accessed with a tender in the garage so an emergency tiller could not be used anyway.  
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>