myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar Power Cabling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Breeze On View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze On Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Power Cabling
    Posted: 06 May 2017 at 14:08
We attached our panels with Velcro. One side sewn to bimini & the other glued to the panel with 3M 5200. In order to have them look nice, we added canvas "lapels" that cover the top edges of the panels (like a canvas picture frame that velcros around the edges of each panel). Never had any issues with the panels staying attached - max wind of 60kt so far!
George & Bev

Breeze On (415 #096)
Yeoey View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 12:26
Evening Alex

if you have usual canvas bimini than your panels should  be ordered with zipper attached.

My process is different as it is a composite bimini that I am making- if you want more detail please email me direct and I will forward you detail and several pics.

yeomanspaa@gmail.com

regards
Peter

Yeoey View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 12:20
Evening Paul, 
my hull number is 137 and it was launched by previousn ownersin mid april 2014
Peter
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 11:32
Hi, we used Solbian flexible solar panels and you can get them with a big plastic zip around all four sides, so just get the other half of the zip sown into the bimini. Very easy to take out again and has worked well for over two years.
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Axel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 09:25
How did you fix the solar panels on the bimini? I am also intending to install 2 panels on the bimini of my 385.
Greetings from Croatia
Axel
Hanse 385 #434 Nyanga 2
Breeze On View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze On Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 20:02
Peter - Having trouble uploading pix.  I'll try to email them directly to you.  Each controller handles 2 panels in parallel.  No issues with heat.  We had relatively cheap, semi flexible panels from Renogy (made by HQST now) & they have started to degrade after just 2+ years.  
George & Bev

Breeze On (415 #096)
Yeoey View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 13:31
Thx Paul- must check my hull number but think it is 137 
Peter
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 13:05
Hi we had two solar panels fitted to our bimini, cables ran down the bimini supports to new glands in the deck with the cables running under the rope lockers to the controllers which we mounted in behind the main control panel on the stern most bulkhead. Works well with no visible wires anywhere :)

Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Yeoey View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 01:44
Good Morning Breeze On and greetings from Australia
Would it be possible to send me a pic of the controllers in situ please?
Also is there any heat issue?
Also was there a reason for 2 controllers? My system was designed for me and has one - Victron Blue 100/30 MPPT

I am buying more expensive panels based on recommendation of a friend who went down the path before me albeit with his Motorhome - he originally purchased on price and expected to only get 5 years out of his first purchase of 8 x 100 watt as he considers that the market place is evolving quickly and they would be more efficient and less costly in 4 or 5 years at that time. His disappointment was that the cells started to fail, after 12 months and very quickly. The online retailer is no where to be found and he turned to the firm I have purchased from-they have a physical
presence via a warehouse claim to be the biggest f/panel supplier in Australia and excellent to deal with and hopefully the panels meet expectations. additionally I hope that by having fixed place panels they won't become prone to flexing as if I had installed them directly onto the canvas albeit they would have been smaller panels.
Yeoey
Breeze On View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze On Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 22:13
i ran the cables for my 4x100watt panels down the port backstay, into the port line compartment, through the wall just forward & inboard of the shore power connection & through an empty chase that was in place under the aft bunk. I put my controllers(2) inside the small compartment next to the switch board compartment.  I don't need to see them all the time and the compartment is so shallow I don't store much in it.  Back wall comes out with 4 screws & the hinge removed.
Thinking of upgrading to solid panels since the semiflexibles are not as efficient...but that means adding an arch for them.  Wanted to avoid that but after a winter in the Bahamas, know I need more power.

George & Bev

Breeze On (415 #096)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>