myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 630
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hanse 630e in astorm-race fail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanse 630e in astorm-race fail
    Posted: 26 April 2017 at 18:13
Hi,
found an old video of 2010. You can view it here
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 08:43
Nice video, but was that a storm? Looked quite calm. Fresh breeze?
I have never been in a storm, but I have sailed in worse condition than this.

Edited by Sea-U - 27 April 2017 at 10:55
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 00:58
40 knots wind with gusts up to 50 is a storm to me, but might be wrong. Could be called full gale or hlf storm.

Panos
Panos

samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 07:07
So what was the term "Hydra race fail" in the title about
i was expecting to see an almighty bang & a lot of panic

Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 17:10
We couldn't film during the "panic" obviously.

But the story goes like this: We made the cape and suddenly faced 40 knots with all sails up. The electric furler (Hanse was using Bamars   grossly under-designed furler at the time ) refused to reduce the jib so we had to do it manually using a winch handle hanging over the the bow tow-rail while running  to hide the jib behind the main. This took us over 30 min. 
Then we sailed upwind and took the first and then the second reef in but the second reef block (the 630 reef line has a purchase ratio 1:2 by a block at the main reefing point) just exploded so we reverted to the first reef and were over canvased. The video we took after all these "adjustments". We didn't make it to the finish line because we sailed downwind for too long and couldn't even make it to our marina.

Panos

Edited by panos - 12 May 2017 at 17:14
Panos

samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 20:56
It is worrying when bits on a boat that size fails. If the furler on my 311 failed I would just sail round in circles until it wrapped enough turns round the forestay, or even drop it on the deck if I had a crew to catch it. cannot really do that on a 63
Bitbaltic View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitbaltic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 20:48
You might want to get some lifejackets on in a storm.
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 21:15
Panos
As a big boat sailor perhaps you can answer a query i have.
I was sailing in company with the owner of a brand neww 445 owner last week & he broke his second seldon kicker in 2 weeks
He argued with Seldon who said that he was not using it properly. The owner then said "well where are the instructions on how to use it?"
Unable to reply Seldon have to date supplied 3 Kickers to him
The owner said that prior to any gybe he always released a certain amount of kicker.
It is years since I sailed on big boats & one I sailed on had a kicker rather like an outsized bottle screw so we could never release it in a broach or gybe.
I cannot ever recall easing the kicking strap prior to gybing
On your 63 do you do this & have you ever heard of the practice- other than on dinghies that is?

Samuel
Yeoman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 18:09
Hi Samuel,

It is a good question and you should always ease the kicker prior to a gybe on any size of boat as the forces at the gooseneck and vang base are pretty hefty.

Just for clarity - the 455 has only broken 1 vang as the 2nd one was delivered wrongly set up and therefore did not work as opposed to failed under use.  The third is currently working well by all accounts.

Kind regards

Phil
Inspiration Marine Group LTD - UK Importer for Hanse Yachts. Helping owner’s to get the best from their boats.
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 18:37
Phil
I stand corrected on the matter re the number of kicker broken. The second one was supplied with component size problem  as i understand, so apologies are due.

However, i am still intrigued by the question of easing the vang prior to a gybe.
The owner of the 455 says he always does it - I expect because he has the habit from dinghy sailing. But I would still query if owners do.

Edited by samuel - 31 May 2017 at 18:40
 Post Reply Post Reply