myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IRC Measure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IRC Measure
    Posted: 15 May 2017 at 17:08
Is there anyone out there that has IRC measures for a 370???

I just got me ORR rating for Mac race this year and I am being screwed. I am rated faster that a Ben 36.7 and J-35. 
I have been told as no Hanse 370 has been officially measures  for ORR (US Sailing) nothing more can be done. 

I thought if some had an official IRC measure I could ask then to check IRC numbers with the ones US Sailing have come up with.    

mp
mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 17:41
Maybe this will help

http://jieter.github.io/orc-data/site/

Just enter "Hanse 370" and you will find many Hanse 370 ratings (orc)

It depends on the sails, keel etc you have......

BTW:
In germany we have a so called Yardsticksystem.

Following this the numbers are:

Hanse 370   91
Hanse 370e 90
J35             90
Ben 36.7     88

Over the thumb: The Hanse370e is as fast as the J35
The Hanse 370 is about 1% slower compared to  the e-version or J35
The Ben 36.7 is the fastest boat in  the group and about 2% faster compared to the Hanse 370e or J35

OK Yardstick is only a helpful instrument for sailing on wednesday evenings....

Edited by Peter-Blake - 15 May 2017 at 17:45
Blake 370
jracoffman View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jracoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 15:26
that is a nutty rating.  Having raced extensively against Bene 36.7s, there is NO way you should rate fast then them.  Those boats are consideriably lighter and fly symmetrical spins to go fast deep down wind, something the H370 cannot really do.  Unless its blowing 15-20kts and lost of close reaching, you don't stand a chance.  As for J35s, generally they should rate considerably faster as well, though I have had better luck keeping up with them then the Bene 367s.  Part of the problem in handicapping is the lack of H370s actively racing..

James
Gemini
USA 60468
James C
Gemini, Hanse 375 #644
USA 60468
Doug View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 16:30
PHRF of the Chesapeake rating for my Hanse 370 is 129 for buoy races and 129 for long distance races. If I use my asym.chute the rating drops to 126.
"Red Sky" 2008 Hanse 370, #465, Doug Anderson, Deltaville, VA, USA
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jracoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 17:32
That is pretty good.  For Western Long Island Sound, Gemini has a base rating of 114, and adjusted W/L non-spin rating and a spin rating of 120, and a distance spin rating of 114.  My largest genoa is a 155, with credits for roller-furling, crew weight deduction and whisker pole equal to J.  I fly an assymetrical spin off a selden deck mounted sprit that can be removed when not racing.  Some grumblings among the distance racers about my rating given we have done pretty well.
James C
Gemini, Hanse 375 #644
USA 60468
mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 17:47
Well I am getting no love from US sailing and so it highly unlikely I will go in Mac this year. The problem is that the computer modelling they do seems to be unquestioned. So when a number is spit out no-one is asking does this make sense? I have done lots of modelling in my work and this is certainly the first question we ask. My PHRF on Lake Huron is 105 (I take 6 second penalty) as I have a Selden sprit which is about 3 feet long. When well sailed I correct pretty close to faster boats but sometimes I get killed by slow ones (PHRF is by no means perfect).
mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jracoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 18:58
105 PHRF on Lake Huron seems a bit punitative, and I have a selden sprit that goes out about 3 feet.  What are the wind conditions typically there?

FWIW's, I wouldn't rule out doing the MAC (a race that is on my bucket list) with the IRC rating you are getting.  My experience on distance races, with descent breeze and a lot of close to beam reaching, is that in those conditions I keep up with the Bene 367s and could probably out-sail a J35.  Where you will be at a bigger disadvantage is if the winds go really lite, or you have a northerly and the whole thing turns into an excruciating long W/L course... 

BTW - I have thought of getting an IRC rating as well for Gemini to have that option, so thanks for letting me know what I have to look forward to...

James C
Gemini, Hanse 375 #644
USA 60468
mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 15:58
Lake Huron is either feast or famine So far this year I have DNF'd in three races because the wind shut off completely. One I was being sucked down the St Clair river (which flows @ 4 knots under the bridge all the time). In four others it blew 25 App ( I placed 1,1,2,1 in those).Smile Where I was 2 I was first to cross but a boat with a PHRF of 211 or so corrected ahead of me.  On that course I owed him about 30 minutes and I beat him by  25!!! Angry
I pulled out of  Mac this year.  Crew was angry said "F$%k it" .
Gemini I may need crew next year so stay in touch.
P.S. The Mac I do is the BYC Mac not Chicago Mac although next year would be the one to both.
mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 01:57
Lake Michigan PHRF rates our 370e (shoal draft of 5'2") 126 JAM, 117 Spin and 114 Distance. I  was penalized 3 seconds (Distance rating) after we did well in several distance races across Lake Michigan.
LMPHRF allows genoas up to 155 without penalty and with no credit for smaller genoas; no credit for a roller furler;  and no credit for crew weight.

Mike, let me know if you need crew for the Mac (either way).

Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
 Post Reply Post Reply