myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skødeskinne på ruf

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 12:25
with a sheet you have a vertical force (which also regulates the twist in the sail) and a horizontal force which changes the angle of the sail to the wind. the boom is designed to take mainly the pushing forces from the outhoul and the vertical force from the vang. That is because the boom is higher than wide.

With the midboom sheeting you have in the middle of the boom a bad combination of both forces and the boom is than bending. 
If you put the vertical force just on a strong vang and you change the pulling angle of the sheet to more ore less completly horizontal (with a block high above deck) you reduce the bending of the boom and the force on the sheet. Furthermore: if you ease the sheet in strong winds you only change the angle of the sail but not the shape.

BR Thomas
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 01:31
Thank you for the comprehensive reply. I understand what you say about the triangulated sheeting setup as you don't have individual control in two directions, so control is limited. However the pressure on the boom will still be the same so there is no more risk of breaking the boom with this setup you just cannot do the fine tuning of the rig.
Cheers,

Rob
"Blue Horizon" Hanse 341#113 Portsmouth Harbour UK
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 17:31
Bend the boom? - The sturdy Sparcraft boom is not likely to bend much. Back in 2010 I removed my traveller, and I haven't regretted it until now (2017).
We must remember, that the system I have mounted not is a home-cooked design. Hanse presented it in 2009/2010 and I suppose that Judel/Vrojlik and few engineers have calculated the durability of it.
Just like I, all Hanse boats since 2010 have the system, and if you study the new Hanse 2018 boats, you will notice that all models continue with it.
Some sailors want an extensive traveller in the cockpit, but that is not standard equipment. For most sailors the above-mentioned system works just fine,because since old times Hanse has mounted a oversized vang/kicking-strap to help flatten the sail.
As I have mentioned before, the little traveller was under-dimensioned to the 54sqm sail on a Hanse 400 and I suppose you can find some old posts regarding this issue.
Sailors salute
Cook the Captain

Edited by Captain Cook - 24 June 2017 at 14:34
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2017 at 23:21
If you choose to keep your main traveller system, you can buy a stronger system:
http://www.wesailhanse.se/370_improvements_by_others.htm
Kjeld
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12