myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shore Power problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shore Power problem
    Posted: 28 May 2017 at 20:26
The Green shore power light doesn't come on when connected to shore power in the marina but marina staff have confirmed that my cable is drawing power. Any suggestions?
Persse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Persse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 23:14
Is the light red? I have had trouble with some marinas where it seems that voltage fluctuations or voltage in the lower range gives an error message saying 'reverse polarity' and the indicator stays on red. 

Phil O
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 05:13
Have you checked the RCD in the port cockpit locker? This may have tripped and need resetting, although I can't see how you would have a current draw if this were the case.
I have sometimes had the red "reverse polarity" indicator, especially when using two pin EU sockets where the plug can be inserted either way but it does not seem to have any obvious effect - all the 240v systems still work as usual.

Edited by S&J - 29 May 2017 at 05:17
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:01
Originally posted by SteveB SteveB wrote:

The Green shore power light doesn't come on when connected to shore power in the marina but marina staff have confirmed that my cable is drawing power. Any suggestions?

Are any of your sockets on the boat live or can you hear your battery charger running? If not, then I doubt you are drawing power and the marina office is only seeing that your shore lead is connected.

If your shore power light is showing nothing (i.e. off - neither green nor red) then I would suggest there is no live connection reaching your boat. This is most likely a wiring problem in your shore power cable or boat connector, or your RCD has tripped.

Edited by High Time - 29 May 2017 at 11:03
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
SteveB View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 16:27
There is no light, neither green or red. The RCD had tripped but resetting hasn't solved the problem. It is not not tripping but still no shore power, even after trying with another cable.
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 16:49
Can you test if the socket on the pontoon is actually live? If your RCD has tripped, the circuit breaker on the pontoon may also have tripped.

You could do this test with a multimeter set to 250V AC (be very careful) or with another lead that is known to work with a light or something connected that will shown power is present.

Edited by High Time - 29 May 2017 at 17:03
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 16:59
If the shore power on the pontoon has tripped you will need to find out why. It looks as though the cause could be something on your boat since your RCD was the first to trip. 

If you restore power on the pontoon and your RCD trips again, you will have to isolate all connected items inboard from the RCD and then reconnect each in turn until you find which one is causing the trip. This might require disconnecting the wires to some items that don't have a switch e.g. the battery charger and indicator light.
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
 Post Reply Post Reply