myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric winch help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satchmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric winch help
    Posted: 05 June 2017 at 13:08
I have a 400e built to survey ..... I have purchased 2 new Lewmar 50ST winches as primaries ....with electric motors .How / where do I run the wiring .....I can't get the wiring past the bathroom module .
If I go under the floor boards I'm afraid I will affect the integrity of the floor beams. My wife and I are both over 60 and sail in stronger winds ......how do I ask the Hanse factory ....I've had no joy on the internet
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 18:02
I have a factory fitted electric winch on a 370.  I can see on the boat wiring diagram where the wires should run, but I'm not sure where the actually do run!  I suspect they were installed before the deck went on and went behind the bathroom wall and over the top of the cabin to the kitchen area and onto the starboard side winch.

As you are putting in 2 electric winches (I assume by the companionway) I would take some cables over to the engine compartment and from there out to the winches.  These will be heavy duty cables.  The Hanse specification states 70mm2 for the winch.  As long as you don't use them both together you could get away with one cable set, but that is a big risk. 

These will not be easy to pull through tight spaces.  Also the winch runs through circuit breakers under the instrument panel.  You may be lucky and find that the cable is already in place as they sometimes seem to leave spare cables around, but again I doubt that as this is expensive cable.

Finally there is a nice padded box around my winch to minimise the pain of your head hitting it!  It comes well below the deck level and into the cabin area.

Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
Ggerrit View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ggerrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2017 at 19:08
Hi,
 in the bathroom is some space between the wall en the inside of the bathroom. thats where the pumps of the water and bathroomfloor are situated in my 400.
It is possible to pull the wiring the same way. the best is however to start with a help wire from both sides; 1 from the closed near the toilet and one from the switchboard side.
JesperB View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JesperB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 21:46
Hi,
What year is your boat from? I installed an electric halyard winch last year on my Hanse 400 from 2006 and was able to hide the 70mm^2 cables behind the inner liner and down to the engine room. I connected the - to the engine and routed the + in the hidden area in front of the boiler, under the wardrobe and into the space behind the toilet. From there it was easy. When routing behind the inner liner I used a set of 2 strong magnets (normally used as key holder) - one behind the liner and the other outside. Spent hours to find out the method but when I did it this way it was easy. If you have the 2006 or 2007 I van take some pictures to show wher I drilled and routed.
Jesper
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 07:18
Hello,

I'm also thinking about an upgrade, however very expensive! 

Talking about the primaries I would run the cables in the corner of hull and deck. You sould be able to run a big cable from the batteries to the locker behind the aft cabins. From there you should be able to get to both cockpit lockers to the primaries. 

For the halyard whinches I would consider solid copper stripes instead of cables to run from the floor to the ceiling directly on the engine bulkhead. These stripes can easily be coverd with small wooden stripes/ U-covers.

BR Thomas
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
 Post Reply Post Reply