myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 300 / 301
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow throttle response

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob-K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow throttle response
    Posted: 15 June 2017 at 22:24
I have a Hanse301 (wing keel) with 10HP Volvo MD2010-D.  After the engine has been running for 20 minutes or so the throttle response is very slow.  This is particularly alarming when maneuvering in a crowded marina because just when you want a good blast of reverse there is a delay of 30 or 40 seconds before the engine revs slowly increase.  It doesn't happen when the engine has just stared.  I have replaced the fuel filters and the fuel lift pump but the problem persists.  Has anyone experienced anything similar and if so what was the cure?
mjo View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 09:53
Rob,

maybe "Dieselpest". When Diesel reamins for longer time in the tank, bacterias are growing in there, result is a kind of sludge which blocks your fuel lines and the filters. Have a look in you pre-filter if you have one.
The sludge you can see on the bottom of the tank. If so, you need to clean the whole system, filter all the diesel and replace filters and lines.

Regards
Martin
Rob-K View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob-K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 20:36
Martin,
Thanks for the suggestion.  The fuel looked clean when I was changing the filters but I'll have a closer look this weekend.

Rob
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 10:57
Rob,

it can't be Dieselpest, as this will clogg the filters completely and stop the engine. According to you description you have the roblem when the engine has warmed up. So I suspect, that you have a flawed fuel supply System which sucks i air. When you open the throttle the engine does not get immediately the full Diesel flow. I would check all Connections in the fuel line from tank to the cylinders, starting from the engine back to the tank.
Happy Hunting
Frank
AlanL View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 11:25
I've occasionally followed the forum since buying my Hanse 301, Hobo, 5 years ago but I just had to join and reply having seen this post.  I have had the identical problem with Hobo for about 5 years!  i.e. Engine (MD2010-A) starts perfectly first time every time, runs fine but after running for say 15+ minutes I get this horrible delay when trying to throttle up, after previously throttling down.  As you say it usually happens when you need some reverse when mooring! Unhappy   I'd also say that the power seems to decrease when running for a long time, 30+ mins, as the boat speed seems to slowly drop off.
I have regularly changed all the filters including cleaning the crazy inline one in the connector to the fuel pump, and I fitted a new pre-filter.  I was down at the boat last week and drained the fuel tank, took it out (it was immaculate and the fuel was clean), and I was just considering fitting a new lift pump, having discussed with the boatyard, but based on your experience I will hold off on that.  I am sure as Fendant says, that it is a fuel supply problem but I just can't work out where it could be.  I did wonder if there was some kind of reverse vacuum being created so that once throttled down it took a while when throttling up to overcome it but as far as I can tell the tank vent is clear so it should not be there.

I'll check the fuel system for air leaks next time I am down but if you discover the solution please post!

Alan
Hobo
Hanse 301
GBR 2996L
Bitbaltic View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitbaltic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 22:27
Completely off topic but isn't Hobo the 301 that did a UK circumnavigation about ten years ago, with a book written about it?

https://fernhurstbooks.com/product/sailing-around-britain-2/
AlanL View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 11:52
I've been asked that before but looking at the ownership documentation I don't see Kim Sturgess as one of the previous owners so I'm guessing it is another boat.
Hobo
Hanse 301
GBR 2996L
Scotchmist View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 13:44
Hi
It seems to me the slow response and reduced power occurs after the engine has warmed up. I don't think an air leak in the fuel pipework/ filter casings or dirty diesel fuel will be the cause, because it would happen all the time. I think you should concentrate on those things about the engine which could change their behaviour when hot. I'm not a mechanic and suggest you ask one, but I would suspect overheating. An overwarm engine will seize but before it does, friction will increase.
Andrew

Scotch Mischief Dehler 38 by Hanse
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 07:37
When it happens next time try opening the fuel cap. If you are getting an air blockage it may be causing the flow of fuel to become restricted although this should not happen if the fuel vent is clear. ( I know that you have said you have checked ) However, the fuel vent on some tanks is a pipe leading to the small terminal in the cockpit combing. If this pipe has a dip in it fuel can sit in the dip. This is noticed sometimes when filling as it can be forced out onto the deck as some owners have reported.  Perhaps the pipe or the outlet is just full of dirt that moves about creating an intermittent fault. Is the outlet corroded?

There is also a small filter inside some fuel pumps comprising a small gauze which owners are not always aware of

Edited by samuel - 21 July 2017 at 07:58
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 11:32
Does the problem only occur after motoring in a choppy sea or does it happen after warm up in a quiet berth? If the former, it could be dirt or swarf getting sucked into the fuel uptake pipe in the tank. A common source of such dirt is the swarf left in the tank from drilling a hole when a diesel heater (Eberspacher) is fitted.

One further question, does the problem only happen when the engine is on load or does it also show when the gearbox is in neutral?
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>