myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Has anyone tried moving the speedo to centerline
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has anyone tried moving the speedo to centerline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pride of Waterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 15:04
What are you dumping?
I might be interested in recycling them on my boat.
If you haven't dumped already please let me know what you have thats still working
Many thanks
Jon
Brod Port Lairge
jracoffman View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jracoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 15:48
I haven't dumped anything and happy to discuss selling my old SIMRAD displays (6 IS20s, 3 of which are COMBIs), BR24 Radar, and NX40 chart plotter. As I was periodically having to replace IS20s, I noticed they are increasingly difficult to find... Feel free to PM me for more specifics and any offer you are willing to make.

James
James C
Gemini, Hanse 375 #644
USA 60468
Pride of Waterford View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pride of Waterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 17:32
 2 combis and 2 of the 7 or 3 way simnet connectors and a couple of lengths of cable would be useful.
I have a NX40 in good condition but I have noticed there is still a market for those so you should be able to ebay that.
Let me know approx price you want and We can organise paypal payment and shipping as a gift of no commercial value which would make customs easier here.
All best
jon
Brod Port Lairge
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 09:56
Originally posted by iemand iemand wrote:

Your boat
is on a river where the wind is blowing with 20kn in the direction of the river.
The tide is running with 2kn in the wind direction. You are doing 8kn thrue the
water with the wind and 10kn SOG. Your apparent wind speed will measure 10kn and
your system will show 18kn true. If you go back with the engine with 6kn thru
the water you will go 4kn SOG. You will measure 24kn AWS and your TWS will show
18kn true.

<p ="Msonormal"><span lang="EN-US">This simple
example shows that the calculation is wrong.<o:p></o:p></span>

Why do you mean the calculation is wrong?

Johan
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 11:45
Because the wind is blowing with 20kn
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 12:05
I see what you mean. So here's my next "lesson":

I wrote previously that you must ask yourself in relation to WHAT the wind is blowing. In your example the wind is blowing 20 knots in relation to the ground. While on the river you will only experience 18 knots, because then the wind is blowing in relation to the water.

If you change the parametres you will see what I mean. Take away all the land and put yourself in your boat on the ocean. You cannot even see land from where you are, only water. You have no idea what the wind across the nearest land is.

There is a 10 knot Southerly wind and a 10 knot Northerly current, i.e. the wind blows in exactly the same speed and direction as the water is flowing. You will not have any wind at all while there will be a 10 knot wind across the nearest land. Standing on the shore will be windy but drifting in your boat will be windless. That's because one wind information is the wind across land and the other wind across water.

Therefore 18 knots is correct as long as you want the wind across the water, and that is going to be the information you are looking for if you are sailing.

Johan
jracoffman View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jracoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 13:59
All good discussion here.  Hadn't heard of the ultra sonic option, and may research that.  Since I am racing extensively, AND in an area of heavy currents (Long Island Sound) having STW be very accurate on both tacks is important information for me.  It can very up to a knot from one tack to the other.  I am purchasing a 'shorty' thru-hull that only sticks up about 3 inches, so we will see if we can get it under the floorboard of the forward cabin on my 375 which has very little clearance.  The other issue I am being told is that it needs to be 1-2 feet forward of the leading edge of the keel, so that may push me to put the speedo all the way to in front of the water tank.  Will keep everyone posted.
James C
Gemini, Hanse 375 #644
USA 60468
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 14:14
James,

I just tried to reply to your post but I get a message that this forum is moderated.

Johan
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 14:17
Ok, so I shall retry to write the post without upsetting the forum software.

All transducers are made by a company called Airmar. Maybe the fact that I posted a link to their site upset the software so I will ask you to Google it.

You should check their product range and you will probably find a few ultrasonic speed sensors there.

Johan
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 14:18
My sensor is a Maretron DST100 (depth, speed and temperature) but the user guide is identical to the guide for the Airmar DST800, which I believe is the "triducer" Hanse fits in their boats nowadays.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 07 July 2017 at 14:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>