myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AIS Transceiver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ta'I Miti 2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ta'I Miti 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AIS Transceiver
    Posted: 27 June 2018 at 13:25
Hello
I once bought stg at matsutech
I ve send it back very quick

Now about ais transponder

I have a watcheye transponder

Cheap
Easy to install and use
Functions with my raymarine system and plotter
European
But no screen

Not more expensive than a Chinese

Camille

Not only those who wander are lost

I've learn that the best way to learn about people is to sail with them
D0bbies View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D0bbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 14:19
Originally posted by S&J S&J wrote:

As you already have an AIS receiver built into the B&G V50 which should be connected to the MFD vis NMEA2000, you only need an additional transponder which will not need connecting into the NMEA2000 network as all you need it to do is transmit your own position.  A transponder will need (and is usually supplied with) its own GPS antenna.  It cannot use GPS location from other devices.  It will also need a VHF aerial and if you have the B&G NSPL400 splitter which was fitted as standard on my own boat, you can use the second feed from this.

I am still on the lookout for a cheap transponder solution.  I will probably go for the Matsutec HP33A which is often available for around £350 on Amazon or Ebay.

I have recently purchased and fitted into the main instrument panel a Matsutec HP33A which does exactly what it says on the can, but I've also taken the advice of S&J above and only use it to transmit my own position to others.

One downfall though, when I turn the unit on there is an immediate radio interference (white noise) on my domestic VHF radio which makes it not listenable to. A small price to pay may be, but if there any radio experts out there with a solution I'd love to hear from you?

Cheers
Bob

Edited by D0bbies - 08 July 2018 at 08:12
2005 312, Tiller, Engine 2GM20, SD20 Saildrive. Facnor SD 130 Furler.
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ta'I Miti 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2017 at 10:21
Hello

I bought a "watcheye" AIS Transponder

Price 550€
Much cheaper than any other brand

http://watcheye.nl/producten/watcheye-b-class-ais-transponder

Easy to install

Fully compatible with OPEN CPN, my VHF and my Raymarine system

Magicol View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magicol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 21:46
Thank you for the advice and comments. I am finding that this is an expensive upgrade.
Hanse 345 #237 based on the Clyde
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 16:40
As you already have an AIS receiver built into the B&G V50 which should be connected to the MFD vis NMEA2000, you only need an additional transponder which will not need connecting into the NMEA2000 network as all you need it to do is transmit your own position.  A transponder will need (and is usually supplied with) its own GPS antenna.  It cannot use GPS location from other devices.  It will also need a VHF aerial and if you have the B&G NSPL400 splitter which was fitted as standard on my own boat, you can use the second feed from this.

I fell into the trap of buying a cheap used transponder from EBay and subsequently found that I could not change the MMSI number so have not been able to use it, however it worked without issue (transmitting the old MMSI) when installed as above.

I am still on the lookout for a cheap transponder solution.  I will probably go for the Matsutec HP33A which is often available for around £350 on Amazon or Ebay.

I don't really understand why we have not seen class B AIS transponders integrated into VHF sets yet.  I am sure this would be a cost effective alternative to an AIS receiver only VHF set (like the V50) plus a second dedicated AIS unit which unnecessarily duplicates the receiver components when only the transponder is required.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Magicol View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magicol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 11:25
I am also considering upgrading my AIS receiver. Has anyone experience of this process and any advice?
I currently have the B&G V50 VHF and a ZEUS 9 Plotter.
Hanse 345 #237 based on the Clyde
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ta'I Miti 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2017 at 13:44
For BE

MMSI number is link to an owner and then linked to a ship

I keep my MMSI when I'm changing the ship
The MMSI has to be removed from all ancient electronic by the new owner

Or the ancient owner has to take his electronic to his new ship and link the electronic to the new ship

ASN VHF
Be sure it's done to avoid your wife to be woke up at 0300 because the new owner pusched on the help button of the VHF

Pieterman View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pieterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 10:24
When selling your boat (and vhf), it is possible that the new owner keeps your MMSI-number. Therefore he or she has to contact the authorities to change the owners name of the VHF (ship).
In my case, I bought Pieterman in another country and the administration was too complex. The vhf being seven years old, I decided to buy a new one, instead of going to the local dealer, as he asked 50 euro's to make the simple act of changing the MMSI-number in the old VHF-device.
Pieterman
Hanse 315 (2007)
BEL7000
Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 10:10
It depends on the product, but It is standart, that you cannot change the mmsi!
You can enter the mmsi once when you buy the product.

If you want to change the mmsi later, than it has be done in the factory or by your dealer. It is like a reset.
for most vhf or AIS products there is a key to change/reset the  mmsi. But this key is not for the custumer available, only for dealers and the factory.
Blake 370
D0bbies View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D0bbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 09:54
I am considering upgrading my AIS receiver to a transceiver, and looking at the instructions of one in particular states:-

"WARNING: The MMSI number can only be entered once. Be sure to enter the correct MMSI number as it cannot be corrected if entered incorrectly".

Am I therefore correct in assuming that MMSI number registered to you on your radio license can be transferred to another person should the instrument be sold on in the future?

Bob

2005 312, Tiller, Engine 2GM20, SD20 Saildrive. Facnor SD 130 Furler.
 Post Reply Post Reply