myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water in fuel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water in fuel
    Posted: 12 July 2017 at 10:25
Hi everybody,
Since the delivery of my575 in may 2014, I have been enjoyed with a récurent problem of water in fuel.

I have been doing everything I could to solve the problem, including emptying twice the tanks, replacing the complete filter system, but Thi s year again, water in fuel is coming back despite the fact that every time it take samples of the fuel and there was never water in it.
So it must come from somewhere else.
Did anyone of you have had the same problem with his Hanse?
I will be very grateful if someone could help me on this.
Best
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 12:16
Is it salt water ?
On my 575 I had a lot of problems with the tanks vents.
They were not working because the rubber pipe was in completely wrong position.
With great difficulties, and no help from Hanse / dealer, I could eventually fix this issue and path the rubber pipe in the right way.
It has to go up to the center of the ceiling, as high as possible.
If it remains below the lower sides of the boat water can flow in back when sailing.

It is not easy but you can check this.
You can partially access the black rubber pipe from under the kitchen sink, behind the coffe machine space and upper from the top of the kitchen shelf near the end of the pipe.
In my case I also bought a camera with a 1 meter long wire and to better see.
Then in case you need to fix it you have to remove a plastic part of the ceiling.
Not so bad as it is already glued, you do not have to cut anything.
I should send you pictures to better explain.

If this is not the case hen I have another idea.
On my boat I had to install a fuel cooler as the fuel in the tanks was getting much hot and I eventually had an alarm on the Volvo control display.
This heat exchanger is cooling down the fuel pipe back from motor to tank.
Of course the exchanger is leaking you will find water in the fuel.

I do not know if today Hanse is installing this fuel cooler on default, you might not have it.

Marco
Phoebus View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 12:34
Dear Marco,

What year was your H575? Mine is early 2014 H575#78# and I have a problems with the tanks vents, as fuel smells after a long journey of after heavy weather. I am working and trying to find solutions to my problem but still problem insists. Any suggestions or Pictures from your camera will be grateful

Thank you in advance

boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 12:39
Thanks Marco, yes it is salt water, and in fact I guess you are right, you had the problem only with the left vent tank or the right was also defectuous?
By the way I followed your advice and installed the terms toilets and no more problems...

I let you know the result when I look be finished but I will start first withe the vent problem as I don t know about the cooler....
Thanks a lot!
D
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 17:18
My H575 is May 2013 Hull #25

In my case I could not fill up the tanks, both sides, because air was not flowing out from vents.
It took me more than one hour to refuell.

I did really many changes to my boat!

I also changed the left fuel tank and installed a custom made alluminium one.
I gained more than 120 liters of capacity just making it fitting perfectly to all the available space.

I had in program to change also the right one but gave up because of too much carpentry work.

Marco
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 19:00
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 19:02
I forgot :
If you have the Microwave oven you can see a lot after taking it out.
It is fixed with some screw under the shelf.

Marco
boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 14:59
Thank you very much for the pics, Marco!
We did not understand how to open it yesterday, so we decided to install new vent tubes starting from the anchor case to both tanks. We will see if it works now, i will replace the fuel for the 4th time and wait and see...
The number of things we already did on this boat ,number 080. Is also impressive and same as you, no help no warranty from either the dealer or Hanse....
When I get back from holidays, I decided I will take time to list all the problems I had to solve and send a letter to Hanse.
It seems that Hanse does not check anything on the boat they deliver.
I ll put this list on the forum as well, perhaps it will help some of the new 575 owners.
Anyway thanks for your precious help.
Best and good sailing!

marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 17:47
dear boomjack,
thank you for your kind message.
I also had the intention to publish all the problems I had and all the improvements I did.
Eventually the list became too long and I was too angry to spend other time for this.

However I am very glad when I can help other owners, I always wonder why so few people use this forum.

About you vent solution I am afraid I have sone doubts.
I do not think the anchor lock is the best place to take fresh and water-free air.
When cruising with bad sea the bow can go almost under water..
Also I can not imagine how you could drive such big pipes from tanks to anchor lock!
I think the original yard solution if correctly implemented is much better.
The pipes go up in the highest point of the boat, close to the base of the mast and from there down to the exits in the sides of the boat.
Very difficult for any water to arrive there.

bye, Marco
Tripilot View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tripilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2017 at 03:57
Hi Guys,

I read your posts with interest as I recently kept getting "Water in Fuel"messages on the engine control panel. I drained all the filters, removed about a tablespoon of water out of about 3 litres of fuel. I kept getting the message so I contacted Volvo. They are very good in Hong Kong. They sent a technician and they discovered that the Fuel/Water sensor was faulty which they replaced. 

I bought a bottle of Sta-Bil 360 Marine fuel additive. Has any used this product on a Penta before? A colleague of mine has said it may "disguise" the water and therefore will go undetected by the sensor. Volvo have not heard of the additive before so couldn't advise. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Live life as if it were your last day ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>