myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Volvo D2-40 electrical problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 07:02
You are not alone with multiple failed MDI units, the record on a Hanse in the UK is 4 (so far). I had a second a month or so back, and was told it was the fuel cut off solenoid drawing too many amps that was the cause. I personally have my doubts but time will tell, I intend to get a spare unit to keep on board as if there is a next time I may not be near to a Volvo dealer that is quite so helpful as Darthaven Marine. Fingers crossed!
Mr Blue Sky - 385 #359 - Sail safe sail Hanse.
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2017 at 09:49
I went to see the Volvo dealer in Phuket, as we are still waiting to hear from Volvo Singapore on our warranty claim. The Phuket dealer had a box of three failed MDI's that he was sending back to Volvo and said that some of these were failing in a matter of hours, he also said that Volvo were very aware of the problem but apart from replacing the faulty units they were ignoring the underlying problem. 
I discussed the fuel cut off solenoid with him and he did say that the new engines have a different solenoid arrangement but wasn't sure why they had introduced this.
I have checked the main Volvo website but there seems no way of asking them directly, they just seem to push you in the direction of the local dealers.

Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 02:30
Hi does anyone know if the engine management unit controls the battery charging? We are still waiting for a replacement unit, so along with installing an alternative starter button we have put in another switched positive wire into the engine room fan, all seemed to work well last weekend, but none of the batteries were charging off the engine, but I am not sure if this is another problem or just part of the original one.
As ever any advice would be much welcomed
All the best
Paul
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 11:03
Hi Paul

I can confirm that the MDI unit does not control charging. Charging is controlled by the alternator regulator which is an integral part of the alternator.

If you have a multimeter it would be worth checking to see what voltage is being produced by the alternator. Your problem could be a poor connection but is most probably a failure of the electronics inside the alternator - either the regulator or diodes . A few checks with a meter (voltage at the alternator output, battery quiescent voltage and then with engine running etc) should quickly isolate the problem. 

It's also worth noting that the MDI is not really an engine management system like you find on a modern car. It plays no part in controlling the combustion process of the engine - that is purely mechanical. The MDI only relays start and stop commands from the cockpit panel to the relevant solenoids on the engine and collects/transmits engine sensor data (revs, temp, oil pressure, voltage) to the cockpit display (and also to the Simnet bus if the optional (expensive) cables are fitted).
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 06:25
Hi, latest update on our broken MDI units, I asked the local B&G agent if he had heard of these issues and his response was un-printable, but the long and short of his explanation is that the fuel solenoid causes a Back - EMF current that blows the MDI unit, which seems to tally with what has been suggested in this thread.
He suggested a ferrite core such as those you see on laptop power leads
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/ferrite-core
Might be worth a try, but we are still waiting for our two replacements from Volvo.
Mr Bluesky View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 10:04
Although we have had the fuel cut-off solenoid replaced at the time of the last MDI change, I'll take any good advice, so have ordered a ferrite core from eBay link. Is the suggestion to clamp over the wire coming from the fuel solenoid?
Mr Blue Sky - 385 #359 - Sail safe sail Hanse.
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 12:44
Hi, yes that was the suggestion, although I am not sure what size ferrite core to buy, but having looked at few leads at home they seem to clamp the cable quite tightly. 
I have also chased Volvo for my replacement MDI units and the technician who originally repaired the boat after our lightning strike actually asked me if I used the stop button on the control panel!! When I said that obviously I did use the button clearly marked STOP, he suggested that it would be better to turn off the engine using the stop lever on the engine itself.
Clearly Volvo know full well about this but for whatever reason are reluctant to admit it.
Forth2 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forth2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 19:03
As an electronics engineer I would connect a 16Volt 5Watts zenerdiode accross the leads to the solenoid. That should protect MDI from back emf from the solenoid.
BR
Rod View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2017 at 11:14
Paul,
I see you have added an alternative starter button - was this done by Volvo tech or local mechanic ? Do you have a wiring diagram or photos ? Reading all these posts makjes me think I need an option - but touch wood.
Tks
Rod
Hanse 415 - "Ti"
Gocek,
Turkey.
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2017 at 21:19
Hi Rod

There is a short description and a couple of photos of the 'starter button' I fitted on High Time in this thread. It's halfway down the first page.

Edited by High Time - 07 November 2017 at 21:25
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>