myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Volvo D2-40 electrical problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 13:59
Thanks. Dealer has concurred that it is an MDI problem. I am going to disconnect the stop solenoid and bring the boat to them for a MDI replacement. I"ll let you know what they say. I have asked them to try and get the part for free from Volvo given the known defect.
Tom Catalano
Mr Bluesky View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 15:32
One thing to be aware of, when I ran the engine with the stop solenoid disconnected, after about 5 minutes an alarm sounded on the dash, it didn't do any harm and as the MDI is being replaced anyway, but just thought you might like the heads up. Hope you get it sorted under warranty, as it clearly is a recognised fault.
Mr Blue Sky - 385 #359 - Sail safe sail Hanse.
Bob53 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 17:05
We crossed the ocean last december with our 2016 Hanse 415 and had the same problem. In the middle of the ocean the revs did fall down and i could not shut the engine off. Afther a first inspection by the Volvo dealer in Grenada they could not find the problem. After that the problem occured again. The Volvo dealer in Santa Lucia found the problem, the MDI box. He had to replace the box on  6 Volvo engines who had the same problem. We know a couple of a Dutch 2016 Catamaran who had the same problem. In the middle of the ocean both MDI-boxes of the engines broke down. Volvo knows this problem, but reacts very difficult as if they do not know !
Bob,

Hanse 415 Sea for Miles
To be build sept/dec 2015
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 20:14
😳 really, Volvo had not seen it before 🤔
catarch View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 20:24
In the US the Volvo D2-40 has been recalled due to an emissions problem. The local dealer was going to replace the MDI but then he found out about the recall and he is installing the new engine Friday of this week. I hope that Volvo has taken steps to fix the MDI problem along with the emissions fix. I am heading to the yard tomorrow and I will have the fuel cut-off solenoid disconnected so that I do not run the risk of the engine cutting out in a busy and tight harbor.

The new engine will come with a new 2 year warranty.
Tom Catalano
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 21:03
That's interesting, I know the US are ahead of EU with emissions, but that is a serious recall, can't see that spreading to the EU. Good luck with the new motor, and remember there maybe an alarm with fuel solenoid disconnected, but it's ok the engine won't cut out.
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2017 at 22:30
Just had a second MDI unit fail, just as we were motoring down the River Dart approaching a ferry crossing, which was a little embarrassing as we stopped against tide right in its path. Pulled the Job out to get us clear and managed to restart to get into berth. Volvo. Agent said it's been quite common and they think they have a reason. The stop solenoid is drawing too many amps and causing an overload, so they are going to replace the MDI and the stop solenoid this time. Volvo are however still not recognising it as a common fault, I guess they are just in denial. Hope you're new motor does not inherit the problem.
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 11:39
Hi, if the MDI unit fails does that mean you get no power to the engine at all? I have just got back from Night Train, 10 days ago no problem engine worked fine, now when you press ON on the starter panel there is no power to the panel or the engine room fan. I have checked all the fuses, including the one in the MDI, engine battery voltage etc, all ok
Any thoughts would as always be much appreciated
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 15:04
Paul

If you have a multimeter it is quick and easy to check if you have power to the MDI. Test for 12V between the red (positive) wire feeding the MDI (the middle of the 3 wired connections under the MDI) and the MDI earth which is the negative terminal on the alternator. If this reads battery voltage (12.8V or thereabouts) then there is power to the MDI.

If you have power to the MDI then, as mentioned earlier in this thread, check all the connections between the MDI and the cockpit panel, including the extension connectors in the lazarette (behind the panel in the starboard berth (or 'workshop' if you have the 2 cabin layout), up high.

If the connections are all OK then it probably is a failed MDI. 

I am still slightly skeptical about multiple MDI failures, though. I have seen no mention of the problem on the PBO forum which has a large and very active community in the UK. I also was pretty convinced my MDI had failed on High Time some months ago until I started the replacement process and found a hidden loose connection that had escaped my attention earlier! I now have my old, fully functioning MDI as a spare!
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Ilkhanse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilkhanse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2017 at 02:45
My boat is an early 2013 model year boat located on the US East Coast. Do you have any more information you can share on this? Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>