myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Volvo D2-40 electrical problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2017 at 14:10
I am not sure that I can be of much help. The yard was the party that found out about the recall. I think that any Volvo dealer should be able to help.
Tom Catalano
Mr Bluesky View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2017 at 15:47
I have good connections throughout, continuity tested with multi meter. The problem is the MDI sending a signal to power the stop solenoid to cut the fuel, as the system is power shutdown not power open like most fuel solenoid. A loose connection would only cause a fault if it were power open. This time our MDI fault has caused a complete loos of power to the engine control panel, the only way I could start the engine was to cross the live on the starter to the solenoid, then it cranked and ran fine so I could get safely back into berth. If you want more info from a Volvo dealer try Rob at Darthaven Marina, Kingswear, Devon.
Mr Blue Sky - 385 #359 - Sail safe sail Hanse.
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2017 at 10:27
I just got back from the boat, tested everything with a multi meter and it was the MDI unit that had failed. I replaced it and everything is fine again.
However this is the third unit to fail, the first lasted from new (Jan 2014) to when we got struck by lightning in September 2016, as part of the repairs the MDI unit was replaced (No.2) and at the same time I ordered a spare (No.3).
Unit number 2 lasted until March 2017 when it failed for no apparent reason, I replaced this with unit number 3 and at the same time sent the failed unit back to Volvo who replaced it under warranty. It is unit number 3 that failed this weekend. I am wondering if the fact that these two units were delivered at the same time means that there was a manufacturing problem at the time?
Having a perfectly serviceable engine knocked out by lightning is worrying enough, but to have it knocked out for no apparent reason is perhaps worse.
I am waiting to hear what Volvo say about it.
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Mr Bluesky View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2017 at 11:43
I've had a new MDI fitted this morning by Volvo agent under warranty again (2nd) and they have also fitted a new fuel stop solenoid as Volvo think this is the root cause of the problem. I am also going to fit an emergency start button just in case, but fingers crossed they have it sorted. Darthaven Marine have said this fault will remain a warranty issue until it is sorted, even if it persists after the warranty period. I think you are wise to have a spare on board, I'm not confident the problem is fixed, and intend to do the same for peace of mind.
Mr Blue Sky - 385 #359 - Sail safe sail Hanse.
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 17:57
Umm. Sounds like there really is a problem with MDI units failing. Maybe I've replaced my working 2012 original with a 2017 version that could fail shortly. Shocked

At least I have the original on board as a spare.  Smile

I'll raise this issue on the PBO forum and see what experiences that community can report. 
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 03:09
I have just checked both of the units I replaced and there is a little green sticker on the outside casing, both of which say 331, which I would guess is the batch number?
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 12:11
Apparently the problem is more widely known than just Hanse boats - see the response on the PBO Forum.

From comments in that thread and also above, I wonder if it is the stop solenoid that is the root of problem?
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 12:19
Hi Roger, what is the PBO forum?
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 13:08
Hi Paul

It's the Practical Boat Owners on-line forum. If you click the words in my previous post it will take you there.

If you haven't looked at it before you will find it full of useful info (and also a lot of suspect suggestions, like all DIY forums!).
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 10:48
Further to my earlier posts, I am still waiting for Volvo Singapore to let me know whether Volvo HQ has said they can replace the failed MDI unit under warranty. However we went to the boat today and again the engine wouldn't start, I went through the same testing procedure all fuses ok and there is power to the MDI and the engine starts on the emergency start button ok. This is the third MDI to fail since March of this year.
I am beginning to wonder if the lightning strike could have damaged something else in the engine electronics to make the MDI fail so frequently, but as they only fail when the engine is off this seems to make this unlikely.
As always any thoughts would be much appreciated as this is getting seriously annoying :(
All the best
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>