myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Volvo D2-40 electrical problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ariette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 12:23
I understand from Volvo that the P designation is a patch on the previous design and whilst it will work fine (I think) the new super-improved (irony intended here!) ones have an entirely different serial number. Mine is due to arrive tomorrow so I will post the details when it arrives. 
Mr Bluesky View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 19:39
Dear Ariette, i checked and the one that has failed has P in s/n, so that’s not the answer. Volvo are coming out to it next week with talk of a new button panel as well as MDI. Although the guy I spoke with from VP didn’t sound that convinced. Watch this space!
Mr Blue Sky - 385 #359 - Sail safe sail Hanse.
ariette View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ariette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 10:06
The new MDI unit just received has the code 23195776
I am in correspondence with Volvo about them fitting the bill for the replacement of a known fault. I will report back. On the Cruising Association website where there is also a thread on this issue one contributor has said Volvo will be doing a general recall and replacement on the part.Don't hold your breath.
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 14:30
The unit that has just failed is 22458451-P W1722, I'll be interested to see what is fitted next. My local dealer has promised it will be done this week, I'll let you know.
ariette View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ariette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 09:38
Apparently the code of the new unit I have received (see my post 2 above) is the 'permanent fix' model and the one needed. More importantly some seemingly informed comment on the Cruising Association forum suggests that Volvo are finally going to replace all MDI's FOC through their dealer network. I am at the moment in negotiation with Volvo to reimburse me for my purchase. 
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 11:00
Our local VP dealer fitted a new MDI and engine button panel last week as they now think it could be the panel causing the problems.
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 11:40
Hi, got to the boat today and found that our "P'' series MDI which we got in early January has failed.
I will fit the spare one we also received under warranty, but am not exactly hopeful this will solve the problem. As the latest (6th) unit was only installed in January I am hopeful we can get another under warranty as a spare.
As an ardent follower of the Volvo Ocean race I know they have D2-75 engines, I wonder how many spare MDI units they take with them?

Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 13:47
I am following this saga with some fear and trepidation.  There are similar posts on YBW so it seems this is a widespread issue.  It reminds me of the B&G wind transducer isse a couple of years where several boats went through many replacements (I had three) before the issue was resolved, however I would rather lose my wind instruments than my engine!
Does this only affect engines from 2016 onwards?  Is the D1 range affected?
My own D1-30F engine was fitted in late 2014.

Edited by S&J - 25 April 2018 at 13:56
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 14:03
Hi, we had 3 B&G transducers also, the boat was fitted with a faulty one from day one, then two more in quick succession until an upgrade was fitted.
I’m not sure what build years the faulty MDI affects, but ours is 2016. If yours is 2014 and you’ve not had a problem so far I doubt you will. The faulty ones seem to fail pretty regularly, I’ve had 3 in 2 years, others have similar stories.
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 14:05
Sorry forgot to comment on D1-30, yes it’s the same problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>