myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Volvo D2-40 electrical problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 10:44
Hi Night Train was launched in February 2014, so built late 2013. The first MDI worked fine until we had a bad lightning strike in September 2016, which I won't hold against Volvo as it fried almost everything electrical. However since then we have gone through five more units the last one being a "P"series one.
My spare has a serial No. 23195776 W1745, which seems to be the same number as Ariette (Mark) got so hopefully this one will last longer than single digit engine hours!
I will also take the "P"series one back to Volvo and see if they will give me another under warranty.
We also did the 3 No. B&G wind transducers, but touch wood they seem to have fixed the sensitivity of those, if only Volvo were as helpful as B&G.
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Bob53 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 20:20
5 months later the MDI box broke again while we were in Nova Scotia. Again replaced by Volvo. Until now no problems
Bob,

Hanse 415 Sea for Miles
To be build sept/dec 2015
NeverForever View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeverForever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2020 at 14:52
This forum has been such a help to me. So first, thank you!
In January, our 3rd faulty MDI box was replaced under the Volvo recall (see attached).  After 50 hours, it has failed again.  I just noticed that the recall specified part #23231607, but the actual replacement part was #23195776.  That said, several others have noted the same discrepancy in their recall implementation.  Has anyone else had either of these part numbers fail, after being replaced under the recall? 
Yes, I plan to install the emergency starter switch! 
But I wondered if others were also finding that the "official replacement" MDI was continuing to fail?

NeverForever
Persephone View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Persephone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2020 at 17:08
As you discovered, Volvo Penta in the US is using part number 23195776 for the recall, though shipping them in a box marked with the correct part number, i.e. 23231607. 

I've had two 23195776 parts fail partially, both in the sense of the remote stop not working. The box seems to continue to work otherwise, unlike some earlier parts where the failure seemed progressive. So 23195776 seems to be an improvement but not there yet.

By the way, I suspected the stop solenoid might be faulty as that would explain this, but it still works if I apply 12v across its terminals.

For now, I simply jump down below to stop the engine manually.
NeverForever View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeverForever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2020 at 17:29
Thank you Persephone!  So 23195776 has not proven to be a reliable fix....Siiiigh.
In my case, the engine doesn't start.  So I'll install a bypass switch on Tuesday, once curfew is lifted here in Dominica.
But I'm still interested in hearing from others for whom the Volvo recall & replacement didn't work out. 
I'm also contacting Volvo and will let y'all know their response.
NeverForever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567