myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 18:47
Hi Magnum,

It is a good question but also the same thing for every builder where a model that sat in one category is then in another without any changes to the boat.

A 385 delivered in 2016 is the old Cat A and then one delivered in 2017 (built to exactly the same specification) is Cat B.

As you know from your research it is simply a matter of the method of measurement universally changing so that it is more realistic in terms of the way the boat is loaded and finally used.

The new measurements are much more realistic in a "real world" situation and therefore a good idea but as you say some explanation would have been a good idea.

Kind regards

Phil
Inspiration Marine Group LTD - UK Importer for Hanse Yachts. Helping owner’s to get the best from their boats.
MAGNUM 1 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAGNUM 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 19:36
Hi Phil,
Thanks.
Yours Magnum1
Mr Bluesky View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 20:10
Just been to Southampton boat show. The 388 looks like a good boat, but if you're a 385 owner you may not be impressed with some new features, I personally wouldn't swap my 385 for one. The 418 is a different story though, Hanse have improved the feel of that below deck, we really like the new island V berth and lighter saloon, may be tempted to upgrade if we can get a good deal.
Mr Blue Sky - 385 #359 - Sail safe sail Hanse.
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2017 at 01:24
lighter timber interiors is a real improvement, lighter more open feel, as to increased number of hatches and port lights lovely to look at but i cringe at issues this will cause during ownership. This forum is full of leaking hatch, portlight and window entries and the more that are in the hull & decks the more that will leak, flexing stressing under sail etc.

Synthetic skin fitting (well done Hanse finally) but still brass ball valves and tails (come on dont do half a job Hanse).

Outboard chain plates and inability to run more headsail options not ideal in my view.

Lift the floor boards and look under the bunks in transom cavity, does anyone think build quality is better, worse or the same as say 10 years ago...................i have my own view on pre vs during and post GFC quality!

Edited by StavrosNZ - 19 September 2017 at 01:25
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
MAGNUM 1 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAGNUM 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2018 at 10:07
Dear friends,

at present the boat show in Düsseldorf is closing soon and I can deliver my impressions when I visited the fair. My impressions are related to the 385/388.

1. Seaworthiness. A dealer answered very free: In January 2017 the rules has been changed. 

Before the assumptions have been that the tanks for water and diesel are filled only half, the crew is completed to the allowed amount and half of them are on deck and half of them under deck. The luggage is in total stored under deck. The equipment ist out of the calculation and the mast and sails are in standard version. 

Since the amendment of the rules are now: The maximum number of members of the crew are on deck, the luggage is on deck, all available equipment ist mounted, the mast  is assumed to be the version with rolled main sail (the increase of the weight is 35 kg !!! to be multiplied with the length of the mast). Summary: the worst case determines the seaworthiness. To counter these issue the wight of the keel is increased.

2. The keel: In past Hanse offered 3 versions: torpedo,  L-form and shallow. They are talking about improved performance but are talking about the reduction of variety of available keels too. 

3. The new design: 
3a. On deck: 
The roof has gotten a little bit different design. The distance between windows and roof seems to be enlarged and in relation to the new windows this gives the ship another physiognomy. 

In the standard version the ship is delivered without sternflap and there are no seats for the helmsman and of course no stowage there in. And there is no stowage under the left seat. For compensation of the missing stowage there are new storage spaces under the floor. The gas bottle now is placed in the left case for the ropes in a separated compartment. 

On the left and right side of the companion are very large flat windows. They take the available space complete. The hatches can not be opened. 

3b: Under deck:
The dimension of the bath has not been changed. But the layout is changed. The interior now consists of white plastic with the exception of the closet.  A very small window within the window can be opened.

The eyes are catched by the new design of the salon area.  On the left and right side dominate the large new windows behind the seats. The lower stowages are dispenses and instead of there is the white wall of the ship's side. Above are stowages located. The bulkhead continues the white band of the ship's side and above the band it is paneled.  

All windows in the hull and the roof can't be opened excluded one hatch in the roof. In the pantry is no openable window either.

In the front cabin the layout is changed a little bit. The stowage in the seat on the right is dispensed and the shelfes are reduces.

4. The engine is built by Yanmar now. 

The list of orderable equipment and improvements is very long. For example you can order seats for the helmsman or partially openable windows or a sternflap. The new stern flap has a very important change: The bathing and rescue ladder is fully integrated with a flat design.

I hope that I could give you honestly an overview about the main differences between the 385 and the 388. There are some additional but smaller changes. 

I honestly tried to prevent my personal impression about the redesign. I'm really happy to own a 385. That means too the ratio between equipped ship and final price.

If there are any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Yours, MAGNUM1

AndyS View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2018 at 13:01
Thanks Magnum! There is nothing like seeing something with your own eyes. Sounds like the 385 is still a very good boat! 
Andy
Moonraker
River Dunes, NC
charentebob View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charentebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2018 at 14:19
I went to the London Boat Show in January (Don’t think of going as it is now a waste of your time & money) and saw the 388 & 418. The best thing about both is the retractable bathing ladder on the drop down bathing platform. Internally the hull windows are fine but in the saloon this means the wall storage cupboards are smaller. The bathroom of the 415 now has the toilet in the shower cubicle. This means whenever the shower is used you will need to dry the whole of the toilet area before it can be used. The redesign of the bathroom provides no more useable storage than before so I don’t see the point. OK the saloon is a bit lighter but the pale wood whilst fashionable will date quickly & it gave me a strong impression that it had been designed & supplied by Ikea. In the cockpit the below floor storage areas near the stern were OK but pulling a life raft out would be difficult. The fold up helm seats do not have restraints on them at their travel limit so if a load was applied say in a bad sea the hinges would be put under stress & could suffer damage. A cord limiting the travel would be essential. Hanse have not listened to owners & still don’t fit grab handles in front of the wheels. In my view & many others is that these are a vital safety item in the very wide cockpit. We use them unconsciously when moving from the helm positions forward. These latter comments refer equally to the 388 & 418. In summary I would not swap our 415 for a 418 unless it was the 2 cabin version, ours is a 3 cabin so less storage.

Nigel
Persse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Persse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2018 at 23:32
The outward opening ports on my 385 are a blessing for cross breeze ventilation, as I live in a very warm climate. That is not something I would be happy about losing.
hawkeye View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 08:44
I cannot understand the constant reduction in opening windows/hatches. We have had weeks of 30+ degree days in New Zealand this summer and the 12 (yes that's right - 12) opening windows and hatches on my 2007 370e have all been used to the max. 
John
Sublime 370e
Axel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 08:37
Dear Magnum1,

I visited the very boat on the Düsseldorf Show. The description, you gave, is very true. A lot of disadvantages. The only two improvements are the larger holding tank and the ladder at the bathing platform.
But a serious problem are the windows: They cannot be opened and the number of openings in the top has been increased. When the strong meditteranean sun is shining you might feel to be in a greenhouse without sufficient ventilation!

I am happy to have a 385!

Axel (who waits for the new season)
Hanse 385 #434 Nyanga 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>