myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Consuption Yanmar 3JH4E

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sometimesme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Consuption Yanmar 3JH4E
    Posted: 28 July 2017 at 08:07
Good morning to all of you! 

I have a question, my Yanmar 3JH4E with total 500 hours lately seems to consume oil. I did a service in January and after 50 hours the oil level was at half. Yesterday I filled 0,5 Liter and we had a trip of 20 hours and it consumed more or less the half liter. 
but everything seems like always, no smoke more than usually. 
I have a SD50 Saildrive and a Gori flex propeller... 

does anyone of you have any experience like this? Seems to be normal? 

thx to all, best 
sometimesme

SY Adana
Hanse 370#285
Port Ginesta / Barcelona
MasterKeil View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterKeil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 09:25
my engine (same as yours) with 800 hours consumes nearly no oil. How do you check the oil level?
First remove the dripstick, clean it and then again insert and remove it. Now you get the correct oil level.
And all this with a cold engine. If done this way and still an oil consumption of more then half of an liter per 100 engine hours, then there is something wrong.
Hanse 370#640 "Nemesis"
sometimesme View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sometimesme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 13:46
hi MasterKeil (is this partly German?) 

thx for your response... 
exactly like you say, i do measure the Oil level... What I wrote, based on this measurement. 

which prop do you have? 

I fear i've to ask a mechanic to have a look on it...

best 
sometimesme
SY Adana
Hanse 370#285
Port Ginesta / Barcelona
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterKeil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 13:52
it is a Flexofold 3blade Prop.
Hanse 370#640 "Nemesis"
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sometimesme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 15:13
do you have saildrive? 
SY Adana
Hanse 370#285
Port Ginesta / Barcelona
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterKeil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 16:09
yes, SD50 works without problems
Hanse 370#640 "Nemesis"
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sometimesme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 16:22
Thanks...
i will consult a mechanics
best
sometimesme
SY Adana
Hanse 370#285
Port Ginesta / Barcelona
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sometimesme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 08:40
Good morning all, 
for all who are interested, my mechanic consulted Yanmar. Here is what they say:
the max consumption of oil for this type of motor is  0,00753968 liter oil per liter diesel consumption.

maybe this is useful for all... 
thanks for your response! 
cheers
sometimesme
SY Adana
Hanse 370#285
Port Ginesta / Barcelona
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 13:04
Michael,

So based on 20 hours of running at say 3.5 ltrs per hour x 0,00753968 = approx .525 ltr of oil could used and still be acceptable. This seems excessive. 

On our engine running normally at 1700 rpm = 6 ltrs hour x 200 hours between oil changes - oil consumed = Zero (1600 hrs on the engine now). Our 10KVA generator likewise does not use any oil between oil changes or 100 hours. 

The last boat I skipped had twin MTU 8V2000  rated at 780kw each used around 2 ltrs of oil each between oil changes of 500 hours (about 70,000 litres of fuel used in that time). 

So although Yanmar say your oil engines oil consumption is within acceptable limits it still seems very high to me for an engine with only 500 hour on it.
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sometimesme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 13:26
Hi Wayne, 

thx you for your critical note, of course you are right. I prefer having an engine without oil consumption and I do think this consumption is significant. 
Significant to watch closely! What else I could do? The motor is completely clean, no leakage, the bilge dry, Without any oil...

Do someone have any idea? 

Just now I did my holidays with bigger distances and from now on I will go out having some hours on the sea and in January I planned anyway a revision of the saildrive an the motor. 

that's why I asked the forum to hear different statements and experiences.. 

thanks for feedback
Michael

SY Adana
Hanse 370#285
Port Ginesta / Barcelona
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>