myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freshwater under the floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 11:40
Thomas,

I have connected a small flexible hose to the pressure relief valve and collect any water in a small 5 ltr canister.

If you supect that the fresh water systems is the culprit, just add some red cabbage juice or cranberry juice. If you bilge water is someway colored after some time you have the proof.
Frank
ThomasG View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 14:49
Hi - thanks. The tank cap is chekked and closed tight. I am now keeping an eye on the overpressure valve. Smile
Thomas G.
Hanse 341 nr. 198 (2004)
"REBECCA II"
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 21:17
If your 341 is the the same as ours, then you may have an adjustable water freshwater pump and you will find there is a knob on the top of the pump that you can adjust so that you can turn it down as low as gives you a satisfactory flow rate at the tap and at the shower. 

If the pump setting is too high then when the water is heated in the calorifier either because the heater is on or the engine is running, then the pressure in the hot water system will be too high for the over-pressure valve. 

I have put a section of small diameter plastic tubing onto the overpressure valve outlet, secured with a jubilee clip, and then taken this up to the plastimo shower outlet in the transom in which I had drilled a small hole and just secured the tube with sikaflex.    So any leakage goes over the side.  When I drain the system in winter, there is normally just a bit of water in this pipe.  

A friend has said that he has heard of somebody being given the advice, when you are heating water, switch the pump off and have a hot water tap open.  

Another mod I did in the port lazarette was to glass in a couple of pieces of wood so that I could put in a small bulkhead to protect the hoses on the calorifier, as one of them had been dislodged and leaked as well.  In the starboard lazarette, I put in another small bulkhead to ensure that nothing falls and jams the steering gear.

Having heard various stories, I also make a point of switching the water pump off when we go off the yacht and also turn it off at night.  At night, I just have a bottle of tap water in the heads for anybody who wants to wash their hands.
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
cintra View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cintra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2017 at 14:52
Hey, had the same problem - water in the bilge, actually between the 2 parts of the hull section between the Galley and toilet door, a couple weeks ago. 
After trying all different possibilities like...
- rain water through leaking deck fittings 
- leaking water hoses and pipes "behind" the pump 
- pressure valve at the boiler 
- leak in the secondary engine cooling circuit
... I found a few drops of fresh water on top of the fresh water tank lid. We obviously overfilled the tank and 1-2 liters found their way to the lowest point....

Also, in order to check the development at and around all the different possible sources, I placed simple baby diapers / pampers in or below these points. 

Hanse 388 LOUNA #173
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2017 at 20:43
Cintrs

When we fill the water tank to overflowing, we always run off some water so there is no water in the filling pipe that can generate a head of water to leak out of the tank inspection hatch.  

I use the handles of a large pair of pliers in the tank inspection hatch to give me enough leverage to be able to tighten it satisfactorily.
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
ThomasG View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 07:17
FENDANT - thank you for your great idea with the hose. I will try that. Cheers, Thomas
Thomas G.
Hanse 341 nr. 198 (2004)
"REBECCA II"
ThomasG View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 07:22
Hi Martin&Rene - thanks for the good advices - I will look into what to do with the pressure valve.
Also a great idea with bulkheads protecting steering gear and other installations - I have thought about it myself - also by the cooler and other electric stuff.
Cheers, Thomas
Thomas G.
Hanse 341 nr. 198 (2004)
"REBECCA II"
ThomasG View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 07:24
Hi - great idea with the diapers :-)
Thomas G.
Hanse 341 nr. 198 (2004)
"REBECCA II"
Seebär View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seebär Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 08:44
Hi Thomas G.,

here another idea: If you have a heater mounted in the stern locker, check the hose from the decks shower mounted there too. In my case the valve of shower was a litle bit leaking and the water goes the same way as the hose from the heater.

greetings
Tipsy View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tipsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 10:58
I also have the same thing on my 341 made in 2004. When I fully fill the water tank to over filling some makes its way into the bilge. Hence I now try not to over fill and when I do I run the taps for 5 mins!! I have checked connections between filler and tank and can't find the leak! So now just learnt not to completely fill the tank.
Tipsy in Cornwall!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>