myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swim ladder mount

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swim ladder mount
    Posted: 05 August 2017 at 06:44
Anyone else have issues with their swim ladder inset mounts in their fold down transom? We've got a 2015 505 and the mounts are trying to pop out of the transom on one side and on the weight bearing side, dig their way down into the decking. Already been reset once. Thinking the round mounts will need to be replaced with a stainless steel mounting plate.... Kate
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2017 at 08:07
Kate,

We had a friend who had a 505 with a similar problem and he ended up having a heavier duty ladder made and fitted using much stronger fittings.Sorry I don't have any photos.
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Sailingjack View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sailingjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2017 at 11:53

I had the same issue. Ladder mount's bottom was only supported by a blimp of sikaflex. I removed sikaflex and drilled a hole on the bottom of the mounts and inserted bolts.

There was no room to drill a hole in the transom groove, so I grinded an unformed hole for the supporting bolt and used a piece of Starboard sheet as a washer. Not very sexy, but a robust solution.

Hanse 400#803 s/y Saara
Alesea View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2017 at 09:27

Thanks. We've got the plastic teak decking, which is basically buckling at the pressure point.. As I don't want this to break and have a bigger problem, I've banned the ladder and we're now hauling ourselves on to a paddle board and then climbing on to the transom. Will post our solution when it arrives (family trying to bring something up from NZ next week). We're currently cruising Greece in a heatwave and so really need a functioning ladder!
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2017 at 10:06
Kate,

Which part of Greece are you cruising?
Have you booked a marina to overwinter in yet? 
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Alesea View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2017 at 16:10
Wayne, we're currently in Corfu, heading south later this week. Yes, booked in to Basimakopoulos, Kilada. K.
Alesea View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 16:12
Here’s an update on our swim ladder mounts. We haven’t changed the ladder. Hoping to test it out shortly in the Peloponnese....
Alesea Hanse 505 NZL9464
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 06:10
I think that the separate swim ladder in the cockpit locker is one of the biggest design flaws in the Hanse fleet ( corrected now on most of the "xx8" series). The emergency rope ladder in the tube is a joke.

Has anybody modified it to a permanently attached foldable/extentable ladder ?
Frank
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 20:38
I replaced mine on my 370.  Folds up and extends well below the waterline so is actually usable.

Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
KiaOraSailor View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiaOraSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 09:31
Hi Alesea,
I like your approach as a first step, but I'm afraid that it will not completely resolve the problem.
Our H505 #92 is in charter in Turkey and therefore, the swimming ladder is in use every day.
After a week on board recently I was shocked about the poor design and the high injury risks coming along with that!
(I'm 2 m / 100 kg -> the levering forces on the entire thing are horrible!)

Thanks to your nice solution, the engineer in me started searching for solutions ...
And I quickly sourced a quite promising type of ladder in an online shop:

https://www.24ocean.de/nautinox-badeleiter-fuer-fiberglas-badeplattformen-mit-hohem-handgriff/a-8247/

The benefits from such a ladder:
  • High handles above the platform
  • No moving joint where you put your hands
  • Wider steps
  • Wooden steps instead of round metal bars (better standing on)
  • Foldable to a size that will fit into the cockpit lockers
  • Ladder pushes against the upper frame instead of the gelcoat

I created a simple set of sketches (see below) to explain my ideas.
The key idea is to allow use of the standard ladder as well (in case the new ladder would get lost by a charter crew...)
And the solution shoul require short work time on the boat (ideally in the weekend between checkout of last and checkin of next crew).

KO_platform&ladder.pdf

Can anybody give me suggestions etc. if this will work or was already tried in similar way?
(It's not yet implemented ... but there will be skilled crafters in Marmaris to do that)

Walter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>