myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NSS8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atriola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NSS8
    Posted: 08 August 2017 at 18:25
I am new owner of Hanse 385 and trying to setup proprly the echosound. It does not provide the right level of depth or even the graph. I am trying to understand how it works, how to setup... but the first question is where the echsound is located ? does anyone know where it is ? I am sure it's obvious....but not for me (yet).
atriola View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atriola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2017 at 20:05
Let my add more information. When looking the depth from the Echo does not match with the transducer. So appreciate if anyone experience the same and gave me some recommendations.
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2017 at 21:06
My DST200 transducer is slightly to port just in front of the keel. You can access this from the floor panel in the forward cabin. The transducer gives the depth reading from its own level. I have configured mine with an adjustment of +0.3 metres so it reports the actual water depth. Other people sometimes use a negative configuration value to report depth below the keel.
My Zeus MFD provides several ways to configure this, but I have found the best way is to use the system, network, devices menu then select the transducer and configure it there. This results in all displays receiving the configured value.

H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
atriola View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atriola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 06:57
many thanks. That transducer (unless I am mistaken) provides the actual water depth...and it works well. My understanding is that this one is not the one that provides the echosound data. Indeed the echosound information is different that the one produced by the transducer. does that make sense?
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 14:49
Sorry, I misunderstood.  I don't have the echosounder and I'm not sure where the transducer for it would be fitted.
atriola View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atriola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 17:55
many thanks. So you dont' have the NSS8..... many thanks.

AT
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 18:21
The echosounder sensor is not fitted as standard. Are you sure the echosounder sensor has been fitted on your boat?

The standard sensor is a DST 800 that provides speed, depth and temperature info to the NSS8. The NSS8 can set up with the depth offset (for either true depth or depth below the keel) as described above and the screen can then be configured to display the depth reading in the banner line across the top of the screen.

Unless you have the echosounder sensor fitted the echosounder function on the NSS8 is useless and confusing. I never look at it.
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
atriola View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atriola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 19:10
Many thanks. I am now more confused. It's true, I do have the DST 800. But all confusion starts when the Nss8 brochure says that the NSS8 has a Built-In Echosounder...what it really means then ?
Indeed when going to Echo screen, different information appears and time to time appears some depth information in the echo screen (but do not match with the DST 800 info, and the depth info in the echo screen dissapear time to time). So many thanks if you can help me to sorted out my confusion...

High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 19:37
Built-in echosounder software but needs an external sensor fitting.

As I said above, the echosounder function is (useless and) confusing. Best to ignore it unless you have the correct sensor fitted.

Roger

High Time (415 #038)
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 05:17
Interesting that your boat has been supplied with Simrad rather than B&G MFD. I believe the hardware is almost identical, but understood that the B&G were more suitable for sailing. I particularly like the SailSteer function on the Zeus and don't think the NSS has any equivalent.

[Edit:  Another mistaken assumption on my part.  I assumed that "new owner" meant "new boat".]

Edited by S&J - 11 August 2017 at 16:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>