myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 345/348
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar Panel on roof top

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonas C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Panel on roof top
    Posted: 12 August 2017 at 07:34
Hi, i want to install a solar panel on my cabin top or more specific the cover for the sliding cabin hatch.
The problem is i want to have a nice hidden cable routing to the electrical compartment, anyone done this?

Edited by Jonas C - 12 August 2017 at 07:36
Hanse 345 #15
Samtutuki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samtutuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2017 at 13:46
Yes. Twice. Once on a 445 and this year on a new 315.
Jonas C View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonas C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2017 at 22:12
Nice, how did you route the cables?
Hanse 345 #15
Samtutuki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Samtutuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 00:07
It was a struggle!! What model do you have?

On the 445 the battery is to port but on the 315 the battery is to starboard. So the route depends on where your battery is.

In general terms you have to thread the cable between the cabin roof and the internal ceiling. That space is very tight especially at the corners. Removing cabin lights can give you some insight as to where to put your effort.

I used a plastic coated spiral metal curtain wire to thread a draw string but it requires patience and perseverance. Bad language appears to help too!!

Route will depend on model and age both of boat and installer. Good luck.
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 07:37
Whenever i place a draw string i always use an extra long line ( at least double length)so i leave another drawstring in place when the job is finished. Sod,s law always dictates that i will need another one at a later date so this way the string is there ready
I also have 2 sets of Draper cable pullers. One set has 1 metre long lengths & one set has 300mm lengths. They are cheap & very handy ( even if you never use them!!!!)

Edited by samuel - 13 August 2017 at 07:42
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2017 at 20:09
I am in the process of fitting a solar panel on my 385 which has batteries to port.  I started from the rear saloon light which gives reasonable access - I can get my hand into the roof void.  I was unsuccessful in getting anything directly through to the main control panel area due to the number of cables and conduits blocking the way.  I was successful in getting from this light fitting to the forward light fitting in the heads and then from there into the area above the holding tank.  From here it is straightforward to get to the main switchboard area.  I have installed my MPPT controller in the space behind the switchboard.

I found that a traditional cable snake was too flexible and ultimately had success using a 10SEK spring measuring rule from IKEA.  I flattened the "L" shaped end fitting and found this gave the necessary stiffness to allow me to push it in a straight line while still bending through the double curves of the coachroof.

H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Jonas C View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonas C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 18:06
Thanks all for your suggestions and ideas, my boat is a 345 (2013) and ive been trying to find a reasonable routing, but ill try your iideas, thanks!
Hanse 345 #15
 Post Reply Post Reply