myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dive tank compressor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dive tank compressor
    Posted: 14 April 2018 at 15:27
Elgaard,

We thought the standard 520 liters was not enough - 840 liters is much better but would have liked 1,000 but couldn't get that much in. It seems there is more space around the port side current tank and we could get a further 100 or so liters but will not worry unless/until that has a problem. 
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Elgaard View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elgaard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2018 at 15:18
Wayne.

Very much appreciated thank you.

Why the extra diesel tank ?   
Hanse 575 Hull 108

Cruising : Currently in the Med
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2018 at 13:47
Elgaard,

Photos of our setup will not help much because we had an extra 320 litre fuel tank fitted in the forepeak which basically fills the “sump” area at the bottom of the standard ladder. So we have a flat floor which runs from the ladder to the cover over the bow thruster unit. So the height from our floor to the deck head is about 1.5 meters. We also have the optional watermaker fitted on a built in shelf about 50cms off the floor in the forepeak which and about midway along the stbd side against the ships side. We fitted a shelf from the aft end of the watermaker shelf to the aft bulkhead at the same height.  The dive compressor fits under this shelf and we can stack other equipment on top of the shelf. I cut a round hole through the shelf over the compressor oil dip stick so I could check the oil. I fitted some “fiddles to the floor so the compressor cannot slide fore/aft or side to side. I have also strapped the compressor down. I would also cut a hole over the last filter which has a disposable charcoal and alumina cartridge which you need to change every 50 tank fills. The compressor can be run in this position just make sure you don’t stop the cooling air from venting out (which in our case I have left a gap between the shelf and the ships side so the compressor fan sucks its cooling air from amidships and exhausts it against the ships side and the air is then able to escape upwards. You will need a 16 amp 220v wall socket fitted to the aft bulkhead near the compressor. Make sure the cabling is the correct size for the length of the cable run from the switch board and the amps to be drawn. I changed the standard 10amp breaker on the “AUX” slot on the AC switchboard to a 16 amp breaker and connected the cabling to this breaker. Using this breaker you can run the compressor from your generator or from the extra shore power “air conditioning” socket.

You need access to the three compressor filter bleed screws at the bottom of the filters. Run piping from these bleed screws it a bottle to collect the moisture filtered out. Bleed the moisture at the end of each fill cycle.

You could/may want to leave the scuba tanks on deck whilst filling them so you don’t need to lift them in and out of the forepeak. If you prefer to do this you should ask for longer filling hoses (whips) so they will reach onto the deck. When ordering your compressor I would order so spare filter cartridges and some compressor oil – both of which are had to get in more remote areas. I would also order a spare filling hose and filling adapter because if you have problems with the house or adapter when in more remote areas you will not be able to use the compressor.

I hope the above helps. If you need any further comments please feel free to ask.   

Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Elgaard View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elgaard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2018 at 12:51
Hi Wayne.

Could you possibly send me a few pictures of your Bauer compressor setup, im about to do same installation in my forpeak. 

Best
Elgaard
Hanse 575 Hull 108

Cruising : Currently in the Med
Elgaard View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elgaard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 17:09
Well that made sense, forepeak it is, thank you very much.
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 15:31
Elgaard,

The dinghy garage is too wet/damp for a compressor with a 230v drive motor. The cockpit drains empty into this area as does the channel where the joint is for the fold up section of the deck to access the dinghy garage. When you wash the deck area you have water going down the drains, water coming in from the liferaft storage area and water coming in at the deck hinge joint. We put the compressor in the forepeak because it is a dry environment. Beside the dinghy we store things like spare fenders, standup paddle board paddles, spare fuel for the tender and spare mooring lines etc in the garage. With these things it does not matter if they get wet or are in a damp environment. Lastly you don't want the dive compressor air intake near the exhaust from the generator. Having the compressor in the forepeak the air inlet is at the furtherest point from the generator exhaust and if you are anchor it would generally be upwind also. I think you would also find that operating the compressor in the garage would cause the noise of the compressor to travel through the aft cabins and the saloon and cockpit and be a pain. 
Wayne W
Elgaard View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elgaard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 14:45
Waynes World

Thank you for your reply, ill have a look at the Bauer systems, sounds promising.

Was initially thinking about installing it in the dinghy garage, in the hull, port side, looks like a Bauer JR would it in there easy, and have easy access from the platform, any thoughts about that placement, any particular reason for you guys placing it in the forepeak ? 

Best Regards
Elgaard
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 09:32
Elgaard,

We have a dive compressor fitted on our 575. The compressor is made in Germany by Bauer and the model we have is a Junior 2. This delivers 100l/min so a 100 ltr scuba cylinder filled to 225 bar would take about 25 minutes to fill from empty. The Junior 2 is available as a 225 bar or 330 bar unit if you have very high pressure scuba tanks. Ours is fitted with a 2.2 kw 230V /50hz electric motor and the unit is fitted in the forepeak. We had Hanse fit a 16 amp power point in the forepeak so we could plug the compressor in. This is power point is connected to a 16 amp breaker on the 230v panel which is normally marked with "AUX". Note the standard "AUX" breaker is a 10 amp breaker so this needed to be changed. The wiring to the compressor power point needs to be 2.5 square cms or thicker to be able to supply the starting current draw without excessive voltage drop. The cost of a new Junior 2 is between E3,500 and E4,000 depending on options you choose. Our compressor can be run either by or generator or if the "airconditioning" shorepower in connected.

I hope this information helps you.  
Wayne W
Elgaard View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elgaard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 21:59
Hi all.

Im the happy new owner of a H575 that im about to gear up for some adventure.
Was wondering if anyone had any experience with equipping the H575 with an air compressor for filling divetanks and if so, what kind, electric, fuel driving, does and dont

All input is more than welcome.

Cheers.

Post Reply Post Reply