myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mast unstepping hints, please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mast unstepping hints, please
    Posted: 27 August 2017 at 17:36
Hi all!

After 10 years it's time to unstep mast, check everything and possibly replace standing rigging. As for me it's a first on a Hanse 400, could some more experimented friend give me some tips?
I have a 2007 Simrad system (radar, vhf) and of course, mast lights. Where do you disconnect the cables? Are there plugs under the swan neck? How do you reach them?

Many thanks!

Jacopo
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2017 at 20:46
Hello Jacopo,

the cable joints for the mast cable are under the deck. You have to remoe the ceiling panel. Make sure that all cables you disconnect are labeled accordingly, so you can join them again the right way.

Unstepping the mast on a 400 is something for the experts, ist definitively NOT a DIY Job. Get yourself professionnal help.

When you have the mast down it is highly advisable to change all lights to LED ( top,steaming and if not yet installed also deck lights ). You should also check any antenna cables and radar cabling for perfect connection.

Rgds

Frank
Stria View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2017 at 21:13
Thanks Frank!

And yes, and yes and yes.

I wasn't planning to do it myself, I just wanted to know how complicated it would be (in a previous boat of mine in order to unstep the mast they had to cut the cables and install a connection box... but of course it was an old, old boat ;-)) 

Indeed, I plan to replace the lights with leds, install a deck light and repair the vhf antenna as my radio does not work anymore (at the moment I am using a portable vhf).

thanks again and fair winds
J

Edited by Stria - 27 August 2017 at 21:22
jeb View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2017 at 08:53
Unstepping the 400 mast is actually not that complicated given that there is a sutibale crane. Just remove the cables as discribed and also all hailyards  (don't forget to put in pilot lines), connect the sling above the COG of the mast. If the crane is high enought, lift below the upper spreader, otherwise between the spreaders. If lifting between, secure the sling to the base of the mast. I'm doing this every second year. To get it off you need to be 3 people. One operating the crane, one managing the mastfoot amd one taking care of the furler. Normaly I just hoist the mast enought to get clear of the safety wires - then move the boat before lowering the mast.

Jesper
Hanse 400e
Scotchmist View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 14:19
There was a time when the marina insisted that masts be removed when the boat was on the hard in winter. I had a 312. Taking down the head lining to get at the cable connections each year was a pain so I fitted a hatch in it. You can get all sorts of pre-made hatches for boats. It blended in and looked as though it was put there by the manufacturer from the start. Saved an awful lot of time. 
Andrew

Scotch Mischief Dehler 38 by Hanse
 Post Reply Post Reply