myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Watermaker on H 400

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Watermaker on H 400
    Posted: 28 August 2017 at 12:20
Hi all, as per subject, I am planning to fit a watermaker in my H 400e (yer 2007).

I was thinking to use as seawater intake the kitchen sink inlet (teeing it, as I would not like to open other holes) and placing the watermaker under the settee, but I really would like other opinions/experiences...
THKS!!!
All the best
J
anyway View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anyway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 12:02
I use the intake of the toilet in the front
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 18:09
Stria,

Normally desals have two prefilters , 25  and 10 micron, an activated charcoal filter on the product water into your tanks and a activated charcoal filter on the fresh water flush for the desal all of which need to be changed reasonably regularly. So having space to access these filters and get a tub under them to collect the amounts of water which inevitably spill when they are changed is an advantage. Most desals are a bit noisy when running so a better place to have your desal may be away from the living area if you have a choice.

We have found however that we mostly run our desal when underway and mostly while motor sailing because of the power needed to run the desal - approx 30 amps for a 60 liter per hour model. We rarely run the desal whilst at anchor because the anchorages in the Med are crowded and you have a fair idea about what is going into the seawateri these anchorages and you don't want to drink it. So we tend to make fresh water whilst at sea.

Where ever your take your sea water feed from it needs to be as low in the water as you can because you don't want the desal sucking in air when you are leaning when sailing  or motorsailing. It is also important to have the correct size through hull because if it is too small it will reduce the effectiveness of the desal. Most smaller desals only convert about 13% of the through water into fresh (product) water so 100 liters through = 13 liters FW. Our unit requires about 460 liters of water per hour at about 150 psi to make our 60 liters of FW.  If the flow of SW is too low or restricted your feed pump may not be able to produce the required pressure/volume and the desal does not perform. 

For your desal to run well and continue to run it needs to be installed correctly. If it isn't you will have problems and a unreliable desal is worse than no having one.  

Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Captain Dan View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 03:06
We went with a Spectra 30 LPH from Tonsai Marine in Thailand, the unit is 12vDC so no head aches with a 220vAC supply. The uint fits nicely in the bow locker under the bunk and takes a pick up from next to the Forward Head pick up. The uint is plumbed in real close to the tank and takes a feed from a modified supply buss to the Anchor windlass, brine discharge is out just above the water line with a gooseneck.
 Post Reply Post Reply