myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

toglle poor welding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 13:56
I have used a "heavy metal" solution. The ring has replaced the existing lower screw in the vertical bow plate.
Works perfect!

Frank
Gratitude View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gratitude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2018 at 15:54
Thanks for sharing this post - just ordered an Assymetrical and am planning on racing this summer so putting this solution on my Spring Work List.....
David Barnes - Gratitude - Hanse 415 - Seattle, WA
Persse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Persse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 03:33
The attachment point for head sails has to be reinforced. Being stainless if it bends it could snap. There are a number of solutions possible. I chose to strengthen along the length of the rod making the eye as my blue water runner head sail has a lot of force on it.

Persse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Persse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 03:39
I should add that this is an easy job if you go to the hassle of removing the entire bow sprit and do it on he bench.
Phil O
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 03:54
Thank Phil,
I may borrow this idea as the stainless steel loop bends under pressure when using my asymmetric.  It has bent back onto the wooden foot plate and I have not attempted to straighten it to avoid metal fatigue.
I had an "incident" last season and the bow fitting has been slightly bent so I probably need to remove the bow fitting anyway to have it straightened out.  Is this an easy job?  From memory there are some pretty large allen bolts which I assume screw into a plate embedded in the deck and a fairly thick layer of white mastic that might need replacing.
Stuart

H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Persse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Persse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 04:42
My bowsprit had no. 4 Phillips head bolts that were an absolute pain to get out because they dont work well at the angles forced on you by the walls of the chain guide and because I did not want to remove the furling drum.
I used a flexible driver with a number 4 bit, it took a little time and patience but got there after an hour or so.
The mastic was quite thin under the plate and was massed up under the air gap between metal and fibreglass where it does not have any role that I could see, so cleaned it up and just replaced it under the plate.
I replaced the bolts with hex heads, and with the ball end of the Allen key it was very easy to put back in.

The backing pieces are two half moon shapes that are welded on right up to the bend. The 10 mm rod used by Hanse is very strong in itself but needs support and counter force. 

Have been very happy with how this works now as with a 2 to one head-sail halyard that I put in at the same time there is a lot of tension up front, not quite as much as a code zero but not far from it.

Phil O

Iris View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2022 at 12:08
[QUOTE=415 Singapore]Hi, yes the standard bolted is tapped into the metal backing plate, so it is simple to take out
All the best
Paul
Hi , I know this is an old post ,but you infer here that there is a backing plate in the stem of the boat.
Do you know if this extends the whole height of the bow,as I’m having a stainless stem protector made and I need to know if I can fix it to/thru the bow.
I know there is a hefty aluminium plate buried in the aft weather rail as I drilled thru it to run solar cables but do you know where else on the boat there is strengthening , for example pad eyes or fair leads?
What4 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote What4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2022 at 11:28
This is a photo of the backing plate on my 2016 Hanse 415.  Quite a good design - this time but it only extends the length of the forestay tang

Steve
Iris View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 14:47
Do you happen to know what size the bolts are that you’re showing protruding through the tang ,are they M10?
Iris View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2023 at 18:31
Hi, Do you remember what size this bolt is M10 , M12?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>