myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new sails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2johnsdownunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new sails
    Posted: 11 September 2017 at 01:23
Hi fellow 400 owners. It is time for some new sails.
We have started to get some estimates and the variation is mind boggling.
There seems to be up to a 300% or more variation.
Has anybody had Tasker in Thailand make sails for their Hanse?

At present it looks like we might be able to get a new 110% , 130% genoa and a main for not much more than a carbon 110% genoa made here in Australia.

They have given us the option of sails being made out of Performance tape Carbon or various types of Dacron at even cheaper prices.

AM I MISSING SOMETHING. !!!!!!!

Are there issues with Asian made sails that I should know about?

There seem to be few complaints on the interweb about Tasker sails.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject. We would love to buy locally but there comes a tipping point.

Cheers the Johns Downunder

John Down Under
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 03:09
Hi John,

With sails experience tells me you most certainly get what you pay for...........within reason.

Quality of the design, materials, build and after sales support is critical. Assuming all are equal its only labour that's different, labour will be approx 35% of total cost to build. You are in Australia and you have ridiculously expensive labour compared to many.

I purchased my sails from Doyles in Auckland, laminated sails with S/T jib redesigned and approx 15% larger than standard with leech battens. The difference in set, shape and performance is considerable.

I have owned many yachts and when ordering new sails have nearly always had the sail maker aboard for first sail and we have made small tweaks and changes almost every time.

• does your Asian supply source have local representation to actually measure your boat? making them from design spec data will not guarantee a quality sail.
  • will Asian made sails be made from quality cloth guaranteed (you are in high UV environment)?
  • is someone in Australia available to tweak and get your sails correct?
  • local sailmakers will have low motivation to repair and maintain your Asian made sails.
If you are only cruising and dont care about the finer details Private Message me as i have excellent factory Norths S/T jib which i will do at price well below anything new.

New sail schematics, note the positive leech shape and depth of foot in S/T jib resulting in considerable area and performance increase:

Edited by StavrosNZ - 11 September 2017 at 03:09
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
2johnsdownunder View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2johnsdownunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 04:24
Thanks for the reply Stavros NZ. All you have said we have considered and we would really like to buy locally for all the reasons you outlined.
However so far we have had a quote of around $6k Australian for a trilaminate Dacron sail as a 110% Genoa (we have just fitted cabin top cars and tracks.
We are still waiting for several more estimates.

We cruise and are active but not overly serious club racers ( who are getting older by the year)
Tasker however estimated about 2200 for the equivalent Contender CDX 7 / 9 Cruising Laminate TriRadial   and only about 2700 Australian for a Performance tape  Carbonwith UV cover and delivered.
So we are in a quandary. We will measuse the boat ourselves or get a final quote based on the other quote measurements.
I have been possibly lucky so far and never have had to get a new sail altered.
When we can get a new 130% Genoa and a new 110% genoa for about the same as a single Triradial laminate from Australia it makes us think.
Thanks again for your help . Happy to discuss. The johns
John Down Under
mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2017 at 20:27
Just had a 130 made for my 370 using Pro Radial Dacron 8.0 ounces. This cloth can be used to make a tri radial sail which "normal" Dacron is not amenable to.  The tri radial cut is not the best compared to more modern "load path"  designs but better than a panneled sail. This for us  was a happy compromise. Our cost in CDN$ was 3100

mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2017 at 02:57
Over the past 5 years I have purchased a new Kevlar 155 genoa and a laminate main from different sources.  I did a lot of comparison shopping and thought i had made good decisions even though I had little knowledge of materials, shapes, etc.  At the end of last season I had a 135 genoa shredded in a freak squall and started sail shopping again.  I managed to rationalize the purchase of a new main and a 135 and 155 genoa. I bought all from Ullman Detroit who can to my boat, made all the measurements and then quoted their Fiberpath Race sails (I do a lot of buoy and distance racing) at a very competitive price.  Sails were delivered on time and have made an extraordinary difference in how my boat performs. My main and genoa trimmers rave about their ability to shape the new sails and the additional power from them. And we are pointing higher than ever before. Can't say enough about the Ullman product.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
Captain Dan View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 02:57
Hi There, 

Have you ever considered Ullman Sails? I know they also have a distributor in Thailand and they can supply from the factory a cut for Hanse Models. Wink
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 07:36
British sailmaker Hyde have their own factory in the philipines. So delivery would not be a problem and their racing sails are respected. You will see their logo on the clipper RTW boats as well

Re labour cost- they told me that it actually takes 1 day in their factory to make a mainsail for my 31 ft boat ( did not say how many people involved though)so i would imagine not much more for a 40 ft boat. So labour in a well set up factory may not actually be such a big factor as suggested above
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 16:17
To me the issue is service versus price. Off shore produced sails may be cheaper but will the loft be able to follow-up and be able to locally fix any issues?
Local lofts may be more expensive but they will come make sure the sail is optimized and have the capability to fix it.
So as in most things in life choose your poison Wink

mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 18:44
I deal with Leitch & McBride locally. The sails are made in Sri Lanka, but designed and measured by the local rep. I just got a new main and ST jib for my 371. Beautiful cut and very good workmanship.

I bought crosscut dacron sails, made with premium Marblehead cloth. The self tacker has considerable roach and 4 vertical battens.  So far I am very happy with the performance.

The previous ST sail, which was beginning to delaminate, was an Elvstrom "string" sail with taffeta one side. It set and performed well when new but developed unsightly mildew between layers which could not be cleaned. 

I also have a 149% Elvstrom high-tech genoa which is still in great shape after 14 years, used primarily for racing.  Have a Rolly Tasker symmetrical spinnaker which is now 17 years old and still going strong. We have won many club races over the years.

I have just ordered a Selden retractable bowsprit and Harken top down furler. After it is all set up and installed I'll order an asymm for it. 
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
 Post Reply Post Reply