myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keel optimization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary400e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 10:01

Hi All

I have collected Danish (DH) rating information from a Danish Hanse 400e using a genua 1 (approx. 51 m2). When I make a comparison, will my rating be "lowered" with 4,5 sec/nm. Meaning I need to sail approx. 4,5 sec faster pr. nm on circle track (distance racing).

I think with the high stability of the boat, a genua 1 might be the solution, together with an additional look/verification of the rig setup.

What do you think?

BR Jesper

Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 18:19
Originally posted by Mary400e Mary400e wrote:

What do you think?

Thumbs Up

Quite a few rating systems (non VPP types), have "steps" in the penalty for larger sails. Make sure you get the biggest sail you can if you're going to take a penalty. For example, a rating system might give you a penalty of 3 sec/nm for a foresail in the range 110 to 125%. As such, it would be silly to have a 112%, you would go to 125%.....

Edited by Rubato - 27 September 2017 at 18:23
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Rock View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 21:42
Steve,
You put your first reef in at 20 knots true or apparent wind?

At 16+ knots true wind I have to seriously loosen the main sheet, not to loose rudder grip.
400e lead L shoal keel and still using the original north main and self tacker.
Not taken the step to spring for new sails yet as I think the boat sails very well, pointing at upto 30-31 degrees apparent wind angle.
Admitted I don't race, although any other boat going in the same direction becomes   a race.
I find waves have a huge impact on the performance.
Last year kept an x40 behind me for 2 hours in 16 knots true wind, pointing highl, relatively flat water.
Regards, Peter
Hanse 400e "M-square2" #0241
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 17:21
Hi Peter
The original North main is actually not a bad sail. I raced with it for about 2 years after the first "high tech" main that I had fell apart and I didn't want to spend the money for a new one yet.

To answer your question, I'm talking true wind speed. Once we get in the higher teens, the main traveller (in the cockpit, not cabin top) has to be all the way to leeward, the mainsheet is on very hard, and the backstay is on very hard as well. This makes the sail very flat. In addition, the boom vang will be on tight as well which is important for the next part...  In gusts, you ease the main sheet so the main luffs a little and then put it back on when the gust has passed (the vang holds the tension on the boom so the sail stays flat as you ease the sheet). Lastly, quite often under these conditions, I can actually pinch (point too high) just a couple of degrees which also flattens the boat and takes a little bit of power out of the sails - this is difficult to do effectively in rough water.

Steve
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Rock View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 21:07

Got ya, traveler to lee (on the coach roof though, does that make a big difference ?) and backstay on, I do.
Pinching works for me too.
I dont use the boomvang much, so will pay more attention to that going forward.

Hanse 400e "M-square2" #0241
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 21:54
Traveler on the coach roof - I haven't looked closely but I believe that the cockpit traveler allows the boom to be further off center while the main sheet is on very hard. To get the equivalent setting with the coach roof traveler, you would put the vang on very hard to hold the boom down and then ease the sheet.

Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Mary400e View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary400e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 13:30
Hi All
I have ordered a new 150% racing genua (Quantum 50m2). Now I just have to wait for spring. It's going to be a long winter :-)
PS Will not make changes to the L-keel.
Best regards
Jesper  
Koppiekrou View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 10:27
Hi Silversailor,

Thanks for your update. I was wandering if you have any problem pointing due to the shoal draft of 5’2? And did you ever sailed her against a deeper draft Hanse or similar sailing boat? Also do you think that due to the shoal draft you have to put in a reef earlier?

Thank you for your answer.

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12