myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Size of Code zero for 430

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lykke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Size of Code zero for 430
    Posted: 29 September 2017 at 18:23
Hi, I have asked some sailmakers for price and size of a code zero that fits my boat.
The offerings varies  in size between 73 and 82 m2 and with these different furlers: Facnor Fx-2500, Selden CX25 basic pack, and Karver KF-2.

Anyone who have any experiences or opinion about what size and type of furler that fits best for a 430?

I would like to have it hoisted from the mast top with a new 2:1 arrangement. This to not get in conflict with top of the foresail furler. Is the mast top strong enough for that? Anyone who has been warned about not doing that?

For the bottom fastening, I guess I may use the existing Gennaker eye in the bow:

This should have enough clearance for all the proposed furlers.

Grateful for any comments.

Lykke, Hanse 430e, #8 from 2007
Alain & Anne View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2017 at 18:53
Hi Lykke,
We have a Code 0 and we sailed it many times along our 45000 NM around the world.
This a 80m2 made in CZ15 from Dimension Polyant.
The Furler is a Karver 2.5
Sizes are:
Luff 19050, leech 18000, foot 9000, LPG 8460
It is not fitted on top but slightly above the jib.
We used the existing padeye on the bow. That could be better with a bowsprit!
Alain

UHAMBO 430e#004
White hull-teck deck-Yanmar 55hp-long range cruising
OCC

Our blog: www.uhambo.fr

nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2017 at 12:53
Hi Lykke,

We have a CZ60 (120g) tri-radial Code 0 and we use a FX4500 furler from Facnor - I don't remember the exact size.

Like Alain said, you should not have it to the mast head. You really should have it mounted on the 2x M10 threaded holes right above the stay. (Your code 0 would be a FR0, not a MH0).

I used those 2 holes to screw in 2 M10 eye bolts and I made a 2:1 arrangement there. At deck level, I can use the small padeye or the bowsprit (selden) with a bob stay.

The code 0 pulls really hard on the mast and the bowsprit. I don't keep it with more that 8-9 knots app wind - which comes quickly when you start going up wind.

We previously had a gennaker up to the mast head (from the previous owner) and from the cockpit I could see the mast head flexing :-(
Also, the top part of the mast is lighter and is not designed to receive any pad-eye at this level. Sparcraft would confirm all of this.

I can sent pics if need be.

All the best,
nibheis
Lykke View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lykke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 16:07
Thanks for input Alan and Nibheis,

I choosed to order the sail at my local sailmaker. He was also reluctant to let it go all the way to the top of the mast.

When I asked him to increase the size from 75 to 80 m2, he added the extra area at aft of the sail and kept the length of the luff.
I already have 2 eyebolts at the top of the forestay, and the old gennaker halyard was going trough both one of these and an eye at the top of the mast. I am now considering to let the halyard go through a block fastened in one of the eyebolts above the forestay. Then it will take most of the loads and also get the code a bit more away from the foresail.

(I will test a season with single line halyard before upgrading to 2:1.)

The Sparcraft drawing of the mast, shows the mast section profile to be I830.
I have not found any data about this. Only the current S830 profile that has the same outer dimensions. Anyone who knows if this is a beefed up profile, or just the same with a new name?

Have got a 3D-picture of the sail from the sailmaker. Looks nice, but I guess it is hard to evaluate the performance just out of this...?

Lykke, Hanse 430e, #8 from 2007
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2017 at 16:31
Hi Lykke,

S830 is most probably the new name when Sparcraft redesigned their product lineup.

For the 2:1 halyard, I simply use a friction ring on the 2 eyebolts (cheap, strong and light - works great).
At the top of the furler, I use a KB12C block from Karver.

How to know if the sail is going to be good... well, you have to rely on your sailmaker's experience. Most of them use some software to get the global shape and cloths pieces cut-out accordingly. You'd probably want your sailmaker to take the measurements properly, to build the sail with quality hardware (cloth, eyelets, thread, lines, etc.), and to try the sail with you - that is at least what I expect from my sailmaker.

Best regards,
nibheis

Edited by nibheis - 23 December 2017 at 16:31
Ole Gunnar59 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ole Gunnar59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2019 at 14:43
Hi, I have a code 0 at the top, need an extra pair od "struts" to keep the top in line. Works fine.
OleGunner
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2019 at 15:27
Hi Ole Gunnar59,

Welcome to this forum!

There are 2 different issues when getting a sail up to the masthead on the 430:

1) keeping the halyard in line (centred): the sheaves at the top are not designed for that - this is what you fixed with your studs (if I understand correctly). Note that the tapered part of the mast (top-front) is not design to receive studs and rivets, etc.

2) the mast head is not design to be pushed sideways by a sail. This is a fractional rig and the top part is tapered (slimmer). Shrouds stop long before the mast head, nothing balances the forces of the sail at the top. There is nothing you can do to "fix" that - it is like that by design.

Using a spinnaker at 180°-130° TWA should be safe (thank to the backstay balancing the spinnaker halyard pushing forward, NOT sideways like a code 0 would)... but still, the mast is so high on the 430, why would you want to take the risk? For a few extra sq-meters of sail? Just stopping the Code 0/Spinnker/Gennaker sails at the intended place (top of the jib furler) already gives you plenty of sq-meters!

Like I said, we got our 430 with a full size gennaker (up to the top):
1) the top of mast was flexing when the sail was pushing on it
2) the halyard, right after the top sheave, was passing through a stainless steel ring (riveted to the mast with 4 stainless steel rivets). The ring slightly deformed the tapered part of the mast by pulling on it.

The mast is not designed for that. You are free to do it, but you should not advise someone else to do so.

Happy sailing!

Edited by nibheis - 06 June 2019 at 15:28
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ole Gunnar59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2019 at 17:34
Thanks, Will keep inn mind, i have a 172 sqm genaker, which i use in light winds.
Obviously care must be taken.
OleGunner
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2019 at 18:27
On a Hänse 430 for the Code 0 I would use a halyard lock at the mast top with a 6mm dyneema halyard and a 2:1 on th bottom side. Safes expensive halyard and a lot of load. 
BR Thomas
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ole Gunnar59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2019 at 20:16
Thanks, Will keep inn mind, i have a 172 sqm genaker, which i use in light winds.
Obviously care must be taken.
Previous owner, said that the big genaker was the way to win races:-)
Regards
Ole Gunnar
OleGunner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>