myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wood finish peeling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Weak Moment View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weak Moment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wood finish peeling
    Posted: 16 April 2018 at 21:03
Hi Jon, I am having exactly the same problem on my 371 - #122!.  What did you finally do to fix yours?  How did you strip the old varnish.  Thanks
371 Hull # 120 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 371 Hull # 120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2017 at 21:14
I have a 2002 Hanse 371 with the high gloss varnished interior.    I am experiencing varnish peeling in certain areas and will have to varnish whole sections to repair.    The wood is fine, just a varnish issue.

Has anyone found a good formula with color and gloss to closely match the original finish provided on the Hanse yachts of the early 2000 era boats that had this finish?

Thanks.

Jon
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 19:44
Luna, I just digged ou the laminate sales sheet. They have

A) Mahagony Redwood
B) Mahagony Cherry
C) Mahagony Acajou

I think its either A) or B), It comes as laminate 0.8 mm, sheet 6.0 mm or thick 17.0 mm

Happy Hunting

Frank
Luna342 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna342 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 19:15
Thank You! That link is what I need. That will work for the cabinet. I suspect I will also have to do some mixing and matching to repair the doors.
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 10:40
you can buy laminate from Tischlerei Behn in Germany, they showed me a color Chart, which also has the Hanse "mahagony"  http://www.tischlereibehn.de/Englisch/index2.htm

rgds

Edited by Fendant - 23 October 2017 at 10:45
Frank
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2017 at 09:32
I would ask a good carpenter. The problem ist to get the right colour and the right gloss. If you put on some fresh water your can see how the wood looks like with uncoloured varnish. I'm pretty shure that the varnished used was a red coloured on. Therefore you need to test a lot or you are experienced....

BR  Thomas
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Luna342 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna342 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2017 at 14:50
Just the varnish. The wood underneath is fine.
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2017 at 09:53
Is the wood falling apart or is it "just" the varnish?
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Luna342 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna342 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2017 at 02:25
This is the locker top in the forward cabin on my 342. The mahogany finish is peeling and I'm not sure how to repair it. it appears to be a film that is separating from the wood. Some pieces have also flaked off in spots on bottom of the doors.
The wood repair kit on Boatoon didn't seem to address this kind of repair unless the coloring is a wax coating. I thought that was just to fill dents in the wood. 
I would like to know if anyone has ideas on how to stop the peeling and restore the finish. 

Thanks! -Steve

Post Reply Post Reply