myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

jib screw lost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: jib screw lost
    Posted: 06 November 2017 at 09:52
During the transfer to the winter camp, there was suddenly a loud jerk on the foredeck.
A bolt on the block of the jib had come loose and the sheet from the foresail broke away from the block.

I had never checked the screws on the blocks. Does anyone have similar experiences?

Hanse 385 #426, "eLisa", May2016, 3Cabins, Selden Mast, Elvström FCL, Furling Main, Draft: 1,63m, Volvo D2-40, Bowthruster
charentebob View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charentebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 11:52
Have not had this particular problem but I have had several blocks fail in different ways. Sheaves split around their circumference & side cheeks break up. I’ve replaced several with Harken blocks.
AndyS View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 12:47
As part of my endeavor to upgrade all of the hardware I replaced that block with one from Harken that seems to be very substantial. I would recommend the Harken ESP cruising hardware.
Andy
Moonraker
River Dunes, NC
kipwrite View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipwrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 12:52
I’ve had three Selden blocks on my 505 suffer side cheek failure so far, two on the main sheet and one on the Gennaker sheet. This is a serious safety issue as the line is immediately jammed in the block when this happens, requiring major surgery to get things freed up and save the line. Upgrading to Lewmar HTX.

Edited by kipwrite - 06 November 2017 at 15:58
Kipwrite
DotandDash View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DotandDash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2017 at 14:16
We had the exact same failure on our Hanse 455. It happened offshore at 3:00 in the morning (of course). The loose bolt from the block got caught underneath a jack line (!), so it was retrieved, replaced and the sheet re-reeved.
Ist View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2018 at 16:09
  • Replaced this with a single Harken block, and did away with the 2:1 system. Didn't find that the 2:1 was needed, works easily without that extra purchase, and that the extra block at the clew of the jib also contributed to other problems. I.e the idea of having that block thrown back and forth when the jib flogs wasn't all that appealing.
Nerthuz View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nerthuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2018 at 19:48
We also had this failure on our 455.
 Post Reply Post Reply