myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 345/348
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Main sheet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 17:42
Plattgatt

Do not worry;  when I read a piece that I have written some months ago about something technical, I am not certain I always understand it the first time.  some things are so obvious when you actually see them, but difficult to describe. 

I will try to do a drawing for you later this week, but I am no artist.
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2017 at 12:33
Hope these diagrams held pa bit.

The first diagram shows the overall layout of the third reef line.  The rope is fastened to the boom, in a similar manner to the other reefing lines, runs up to the leech 3rd reef point, back down to the boom end through the pulley set and into the boom.  At the front of the boom, the rope then comes out through a turning pulley on the bottom of the boom, round a new turning block, then up to the luff 3rd reefing point, down through a reefing lead to the mast foot.

As I did not have a spare mast foot attachment point, I use a block and fiddle pulley *, with the 1st reef line going around the main pulley and the 3rd reef line going around the smaller pulley.  I do not use a double pulley, as when it is only loaded on just one pulley, it twists and jams slightly.

(*Barton size 4/5 ball bearing sheave fiddle block, reverse shackle)

Now looking in more detail.  Under the reefing load, the turning pulley** by the front of the boom is pulled upwards, so I have fastened its attachment rope to the mast kicker fitting. (It is the white/blue rope you can see in the earlier picture.)  As the pulley would fall when it is not under load, a piece of shock-cord is fastened to the becket loop, goes through a micro-pulley fastened to the mast gooseneck fitting and the down to the mast kicker fitting.  (This is the blue line you can see in the picture.)

(** Barton 4/5 single block, ball bearing sheave, reverse shackle with becket)

As friction is a problem on single line reefing systems, I have added blocks at all turning points.

For the 3 luff reefing points I used Barton swivel eye ball bearing size 4 pulleys, as the pulleys wheels are covered on both sides.  With the pulley on one side of the sail and a 50mm stainless steel ring on the other, I fastened them together with thin dyneema lines, one line from the ring, through the sail eye and then to the block and another line from the ring, round the front of the luff rope and then to the block.  The reefing lines now go up and down on the same side of the sail, so the reefing lines will need re-routing somewhere.  If your sail drops in a fixed set of folds, then try to match in the pulleys with the folds.

For the 1st and 2nd reef leech pulleys I used Harken T2 29mm blocks and fastened them to the leech eyes with loops of dyneema about 20cm long.  As described previously, for the 3rd reef, I use a soft shackle, so I can disconnect the leech 3rd reef line in light weather. 

(For a 370, I would use 40mm blocks on the leech)

Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Magicol View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magicol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 00:45
Thanks Martin&Rene
The drawings are really helpful; I think you have devised a particularly creative and straightforward solution to managing the third reef. My mainsail is currently with the sail maker who will add the reefing points. I now understand how I can run the lines back to the cockpit.
Thanks again for taking the time to explain your solution. 
Hanse 345 #237 based on the Clyde
Magicol View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magicol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2017 at 18:16
I am in the process of adapting the systems described above to our 345’s rig. The mainsail is with the sailmaker who will add the rings for the third reef. Thanks again for all the advice.  One last point; we have the continuous mainsheet arrangement standard on the 345 with control on port and starboard sides as in the photograph below. Any thoughts on tying off the port hand line to free up the clutch? I guess there is the convenience of access on both sides but is there also a safety issue? Any thoughts?
Hanse 345 #237 based on the Clyde
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12