myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Self Tacking end Stops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Self Tacking end Stops
    Posted: 28 November 2017 at 21:15
Hi

We have just returned to New Zealand after sailing from Southampton.

The rubber end stops for the self tacking jib were only lasting a few days, esp sailing across Biscay

I found some 'feet' at a $1 type shop in Portugal and these have lasted for over a year.

I used the old broken rubber end stop pieces to fit the new feet.

See photo's

Cheers Neil
Hanse 400 2007 - Back in NZ
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 21:31
great idea and welcome home, how did your 400 fare in this epic journey?
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
neilbay View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 21:55
Thanks, good to be back

No major issues with the boat or during the passage ( we chose our weather well ( lucky))
We used a hydrovane and have a watt&sea generator, so no power issues during passages.

We had a fixed length forestay, was causing the mast foot to push up against the base, so had that changed in Canaries

Anchor roller got bent over, completely mangled when chop developed and anchor stuck in coral.

Had an inner forestay fitted and a storm jib ( never used ) 
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 22:00
i guess you must have Sparcraft rig? thankfully my Selden rig has adjustable forestay.

i had same issue with my bow roller, use double bridle snubber of deck cleats in strong winds to take all load off the roller.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
neilbay View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2017 at 01:12
Yes, I created a double bridle and use the cleats. Using that I managed to bend a wichard chain hook, again in coral and building winds.

BTW : The single snubber rope snapped after bending the anchor roller. 
Silver lining View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver lining Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 20:33
Neilbay, excellent achievement ! - how long was your journey ? Time / miles / journey . We also have a 400e hull no. 199 called silver lining , so I'm glad to here these boats are built to last !!
'Silver Lining' 400e #199
neilbay View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 21:13
Thanks, 
We left Southampton on the 30th May 2016, cruised to Falmouth then across to Spain, Portugal, Madeira, Canaries, Barbados, Some other Caribbean Islands, Panama, San Blas, Galapagos, Marquesas, Tuamoto, Society Islands(Tahiti), Suwarrow, Niue, Tonga, New Zealand.
I think it was about 20,000nm

Our boat has a Grey Hull and was called the Red Pearl when we purchased it in Scotland. Hence the renaming to Silver Lining.

We spent quite a bit of time (and money) getting her ready for the trip 
Silver lining View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver lining Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2017 at 22:29
That's great - were you happy with the overall performance of the boat on the voyage ? We also purchased silver lining in Scotland, hull is light grey .
'Silver Lining' 400e #199
Alesea View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2018 at 13:38
Hi Neil,
We have a 505 in Greece and will be doing the ARC in November, then hopefully sailing home to NZ. We are getting a hydrovane fitted. We also have an autopilot. Did you use the hydrovane as your main autopilot? Thinking of also getting a spinnaker pole - did you use one and run flat off in the trade winds or did you just sail the angles?
Cheers,
Ian and Kate
Alesea Hanse 505 NZL9464
neilbay View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2018 at 20:40
Hi Ian and Kate

How exciting, we really enjoyed out trip home.
We used the hydrovane as the main autopilot for all the passages. If the sea got confused we occasionally had both autopilots going for short periods. We also have a watt&sea generator and did not have to supplement charging when sailing the long passages.
We did the Atlantic Odyssey from Teneriffe to Barbados. Fitted a spinnaker pole in Teneriffe, it was used extensively and highly recommended. We also have a third reef and spent many days sailing with the 3rd reef and a poled out jib. The pole would be set with fore and aft lines to hold it firm, the we could furl the jib for squalls. The other essential item is a boom brake or preventer that is easy to set.
My wife kept a blog of our travels https://www.sailblogs.com/member/seaescape
Let me know if you have any other queries.

Cheers Neil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>