myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to empty waterheater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H8jer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to empty waterheater
    Posted: 29 November 2017 at 14:58
Hi

After having sailed my "new" Hanse 370 540nm from The Netherlands to Denmark in November I now have to prepare the boat for a normal freezing winter.
The Hanse 370 is a upgrade from my Hanse 311.

Normally I would drain the boat from the rear shower, but this boat has not both hot and cold water connected to the rear shower - only one string and I don't know which.
After draining I would apply compressed air, but on this boat is will not drain the whole system.

I have used the pump to drain as much as possible until the pump only pumps air.

So my question is - where is the best location to apply compressed air to make sure the waterheater is drained completely? 

I believe I would try blowing through the inlet to the waterheater and ignore the water left between the waterheater, pump and watertank. But could water left in that route damage anything?

/H8jer
Hanse 370#487 30HP 3-cabin
Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2017 at 17:08
I use a wet cleaner and suck most of the water out of the system. Therefore i open the overpressurevalve on the water heater. I disconnetct the hose from the waterpump and connect there the wet cleaner. This way i am able to suck nearly all water from the system. It takes about 20 min.

Make sure you diconnect the waterheater from electrical power before you start working on it!! And connect it only when the system is full of water again in the new season!

Edited by Peter-Blake - 29 November 2017 at 17:10
Blake 370
Nilandhoo View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilandhoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 09:05
Hi,

Similar to Peter, we run the system until there is no more water coming from the taps then disconnect both sides of the water pump.  To empty the water heater we connect a Pela oil extractor to the over pressure valve outlet and open the valve.  The vacuum from the Pela then  pulls all the water from the water heater.  You will need to empty the Pela 4/5 times but make sure that you leave all the taps open on a mid Hot/Cold setting.

Paul
Hanse 325 'One Life'
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 13:57
Hmm!
I only run the waterpump until no more water comes out. Thats it.
But my boat stays in the water the hole year. It only freezes around the boat

Edited by Sea-U - 01 December 2017 at 08:55
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
plattgatt View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plattgatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 16:58
Hallo  H8jer .
Der Kessel kann nicht vollständig im Schiff entleert werden, oder Sie müssen das Teil ausbauen und den Flansch mit dem Heizstab entfernen.
Ich öffne alle Wasserhähne und benutze den Staubsauger, um das Wasser aus dem Schlauch an der Heckdusche abzulassen.
Es bleibt eine Restmenge Wasser im Kessel, kein Problem, da ich 2 Flaschen Vodkatot vor dem Absaugen in den Wassertank gieße.
Alles Gute
370#641 "aqua d`or"
H8jer View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H8jer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 17:11
hi all

Thanks!
I got a small 5L stanley compressor and also a wet cleaner (vacuum cleaner).
With this equipment and your advice I will manage.

Plattgatt warum vodka? Wenn du whiskey werwendet dann kanst du Irish coffea machenWink dass erste mal du coffe machts.
Schuldiung mein deutsh is nicht gut ohne google translate
Bin am mobilus

/h8jer

Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 17:26
On my 341, the water heater is at the stern of the yacht, so when you look at the plan, you can see that it is above the shower floor,  So when the water pump is nearing the end of its pumping duties, I put the shower head on the floor, with the tap turned on and leave a cold water tap on at the galley.  I then switch the pump off when it is basically running on air.  The water is then syphoned out of the water heater onto the shower floor.  When that flow stops running, I then drain off at the calorifier over pressure valve and normally only get a couple of cup fulls out.
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
H8jer View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H8jer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 17:34
Originally posted by Martin&Rene Martin&Rene wrote:

The water is then syphoned out of the water heater onto the shower floor

Nice and clean solution!
I think this might be a good first try!
Afterwards I will dismantle the boat into small pieces of fear the waterheater is not completly emptyWacko
/h8jer

Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 20:57
These are just my thoughts, but I do recognise that your boat probably experiences colder weather than mine.

I do not worry about the last few drops of water in the calorifier.  I am thinking that the heating element is above the base of the calorifier, in the same way it used to be in old kettles. Provided the water level is below the heater, then if the water freezes it will freeze from the outside, but it will have a free top surface, so as the ice is formed the water will just be pushed up slightly in the middle, in the same way as happens if you freeze soup in a freezer.  Ice is a problem when it is constrained as it freezes.

Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
H8jer View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H8jer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 19:24
Ok

It turned out to be quite easy to just unplug the hoses one at a time at the pump and empty them with the wet/vacuum-cleaner. Then opened the different water-taps one at a time.

Could only get less than 100ml through the over-pressure valve for the water-heater/calorifier.

Just to be certain the straps for the water-heater was unhooked and when liftet no more water came out.

I learned a lot about the setup of the boat, and I believe there is room for an upgrade. I would be nice to have a pressure-tank connected to the water-pump so it don't need to run all the time when water is being used. 

/H8jer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>