myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emergency stop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emergency stop
    Posted: 01 December 2017 at 13:36
Originally posted by Niels Niels wrote:

Perhaps we talk about different scenarios, heave to for hours might not be stable enough, however en a emergency situation where you need a calm and steady boat it dos work, my experience was in around 35 knots of wind where the hull worked as a backed jib and the main slightly full so no trashing however I think the preventer to hold the main in position is crucial

I miss read the Ops post hence the deletion
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Niels View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2017 at 08:47
Perhaps we talk about different scenarios, heave to for hours might not be stable enough, however en a emergency situation where you need a calm and steady boat it dos work, my experience was in around 35 knots of wind where the hull worked as a backed jib and the main slightly full so no trashing however I think the preventer to hold the main in position is crucial
Niels
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2017 at 08:32
deleted

Edited by samuel - 01 December 2017 at 08:42
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Ballistic View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 21:32
I think one of the great plusses the Hanse rig conftguration has over all other production yachts is that you can manouver the boat in situations you described. Man overboard can be kept within close proximity to the boat without touching any sheets .  You dont have to worry about jib sheets flogging around ,nor do you have to worry about yards of mainsheet thrashing around the cockpioit. you can sail the boat and keep it virtually in the same place.   My wife and I ,both in our seventies, cruise and race our 531 ,and we find the rig the best we have had over years of owning different yachts.   Just go out and practice.  Cheers   Johnn   BALLISTIC   531
Niels View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 09:49
I’ve had success with taking the jib in setting the main at between 4to5 o’clock or 7to8 o’clock with a preventer the boat will move sideways at about 1 to 2 knots “sailing” on the hull and main sail
Niels
iLens View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iLens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 08:33
In my last boat I would heave-to if I needed to stop quickly (e.g. man-overboard, reefing) but I guess that won't work with a self-tacking jib.
Has anyone worked out a good technique?
Phil
 Post Reply Post Reply