myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fairleads - a bit of a moan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fairleads - a bit of a moan
    Posted: 18 January 2018 at 12:19
Anybody else finding this weather in Northern Europe is chewing through their mooring lines as they pass through the fairleads. Last night I had to run new lines and pass them through plastic pipe to stop the wearing away.
What is the problem with the fairleads on the 315?

Tross
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 13:46
I do not put the lines through the fairleads. The lines come straight off the cleats & over the side of the boat. There is far less chafe that way & it does no damage to the boat
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Scotchmist View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 14:01
Tross I'd agree with Samuel. I learnt the hard way on my 312 - the fair leads do cut through the mooring lines. If you look at the newer boats, they don't bother to fit fairleads.
Andrew

Scotch Mischief Dehler 38 by Hanse
Forth2 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forth2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 19:59
The fairleads used by hanse has casting remains exactly at the place that should be silky smooth. It seems to be a feature, rather than a manufacturing fault.

I smoothed mine with a file. But that removes the eloxated surface. Which is bad, at least in saltwater environments.

Small defects like this can really spoil a good boat.

The workaround is using tubes or not using the fairleads at all.
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 21:42
If you search fairleads on the forum search you will find lots of posts about this issue.

As others have said, dont use them, they are sharp and cut through the lines and they are only held down by self tapping machine screws (not through bolted) so will work loose with line loads and eventually leak.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Forth2 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forth2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2018 at 11:49
My H315 fairleads are actually throughbolted.
fiddler View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2018 at 19:56
Same problem with my 2001 Hansw 311,  so it's not a new snag.  As has Forth2 suggested, I smoothed the casting flash off with a fine file and emery paper.  Yes, it does remove the anodising,  but 17 years on it doesn't seem to have done any real damage.

The real solution was to feed the mooring line through some plastic pipe (fuel line for example). You do need to splice a stopper knot into the warp to prevent the tube from sliding down the warp.  It's a bit of a pain and I'd love to find some better castings that would fit!

Fidler
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2018 at 00:47
@Forth2, you are lucky, mine have torx drive screws into the deck and hull flange same as aluminium toe rail, less than ideal.
Stephen
perry View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2018 at 08:36
I think you will find the Torx screws are self tapping screws: yes no nuts on back!
Current Yacht Hanse 315 2007
Last Yacht Hanse 301 Round GB in 2017
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 00:26
correct self tapping torx screws, no nuts no backing plates.
Stephen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>