myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fairleads - a bit of a moan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forth2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2018 at 11:06
The fairleads could also be larger. Now it is difficult to fit a reasonably sized tube through them.

My solution was to use heat shrink tubing on the ropes.
Just shrink enough to be able to move the tubes on the ropes.
Gordon Harrison View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordon Harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2018 at 13:37
When we bought our 320 new, we were told never to use the fairleads. They are only there for cosmetic reasons they will not stand the loads and if used there is a high risk of damage.
Gordon
Forth2 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forth2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2018 at 13:48
Well, I always use the fairleads (since 2006). No damage to the boat has occurred. It is a Hanse 315.

grumpydatagit View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 13:32
Thank you all for your replies - some interesting comments and advise.
I have had another "engineers" look at  the fairleads and even if I remove the sharp casting/ forging marks, there is very little surface area to act as a "bearing" where the line turns around the fairlead to prevent chaffing on the shoreline. Most other fairleads have a much larger "bearing" surface. Under normal weather conditions there is a very little wear but with the storms we have had lately where the mooring lines have been under considerable strain and the boat being tossed around wear is quite rapid.
Like others, I fitted plastic pipe over the shorelines to minimise the wear.

Once again thank you all for your contibutions
Tross
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12