myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VHF Aerial Splitter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D0bbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VHF Aerial Splitter
    Posted: 30 January 2018 at 19:03
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend an aerial signal splitter so that I’m able to share the signal from my marine VHF aerial antenna with a car radio I've fitted to the boat?

Also I was checking my jib out-haul block which is quite old, slightly damaged and needs replacing. I was therefore wondering what make and size of block other Hanse owners were using and pleased with?

Cheers
Bob

Edited by D0bbies - 04 February 2018 at 13:51
2005 312, Tiller, Engine 2GM20, SD20 Saildrive. Facnor SD 130 Furler.
grumpydatagit View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2018 at 13:39
Hi Bob,
You always lose some signal through spliters which is not good when you are talking about VHF. I found that it you take a length of insulated wire - just some light stuff and make a coil around one of the chainplates ( internal) and then plug the free end into the Radio you will have a pretty good . reception
tross
D0bbies View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D0bbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 13:50
Hi Tross,

Thanks, i'll give it a go.

Any thoughts on the Jib block?

Bob
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 15:31
I have used Barton Blocks.  Their ball bearing blocks are good value.  They now do a combined size 4/5 block.  Look at Barton Marine site for the full range and I ordered mine from Whitstable Marine.

Many chandlers seem to just stock Barton plain bearing blocks and then jump to the expensive high quality Harken blocks that the racers want.  
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
D0bbies View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D0bbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2018 at 19:45
Thanks Martin&Rene, your help is appreciated.

One more question:

Could anyone give me a name for these little guys circled in the picture, and maybe advise where I might purchase them? They connect my batten receptacle screw to the mast slug and some have broken.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2018 at 09:38
Hi Bob
who is the manufacturer of the batten receptacle ? They tend to be sourced from the same company
tross
D0bbies View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D0bbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2018 at 07:36
Hi Tross

You're correct, the the part I am trying to replace was manufactured by Bainbridge and isn't sold as a separate item, but complete unit: slug+shackle+screw and quite expensive!

Thanks for your help
Bob

Edited by D0bbies - 09 February 2018 at 07:37
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 17:27

As a last chance could you use the u shapped bracket that barton use on their blocks?
Tross
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 20:37
Originally posted by D0bbies D0bbies wrote:

Thanks Martin&Rene, your help is appreciated.

One more question:

Could anyone give me a name for these little guys circled in the picture, and maybe advise where I might purchase them? They connect my batten receptacle screw to the mast slug and some have broken.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

If you are referring to the split ring , these are made by a number of companies & can be obtained from many chandleries. Holt marine do them in pre packs. I think Pro Boat do as well

They will also do the pin but you could do just as well fitting a 5 or 6mm stainless steel socket head bolt from screwfix or one of the bolt suppliers such as westfield - i use them a lot & they do A4 stainless  bolts in small quants to model makers
http://www.proboat.co.uk/item.asp?dep=1&cat_id=46&prod_id=689
http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk

Edited by samuel - 12 February 2018 at 20:53
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
 Post Reply Post Reply