myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 545/548
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

upgrading to 548 from 415

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: upgrading to 548 from 415
    Posted: 16 February 2018 at 21:24
We are contemplating upgrading to a 548 from a 2016 415. We need more room as e plan on working less and cruising more.

I realize that the 548 is a "new" boat but I am wondering what the experience of 545 owners has been. How have the systems held up in a more complex boat? How many owners have opted for the furler boom option and was it worth it? What do we need to look for in the break in period? We are considering a delivery at the yard and some Baltic cruising before the boat is shipped back to the US.

Thank you,

Tom Catalano
Tom Catalano
seileren1 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seileren1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 15:53
Hi Tom,
We are very pleased with our 545 from 2012. The boat sails well and is comfortable even in a good blow. We opted for a number of extras such as gen set, navigations, TV etc.

We have had some issues with the boat (cracks, dishwasher, navigation/radar/radio system etc.) but nothing major. We also have had some issues with the paint. We opted for the light gray but it now shows signs of wear. Today I would have chosen white. The sails have held up well but we had to change the dodger, which was worn. We opted for normal sails. I probably would not have chosen a teak deck to day – it shows signs of wear, and either gone for the “fake” teak or nothing.
Last year I had all the through hulls changed. Many of them were worn, and one was almost critical. These were made from some sort of brass and had poor quality. My new once are composites. I think now this is the standard for Hanse.

Our previous boat was a 430, which we also enjoyed. The larger 545 is more like ship with much more power and requires more knowledge to sail and to run.

One advice is to make sure you allow for enough time during commissioning – at least a week and make sure that every system is thoroughly tested and corrected on site. It’s much easier to have issues dealt with when the boat is in this stage and you are in Greifswald.

I have read that some have had lager issues recently for instance this 57: https://www.facebook.com/nicolaisensailing/

Cheers

Edited by seileren1 - 12 March 2018 at 15:53
catarch View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 16:58
Thank you for the input. If we go for the 548 we will definitely take delivery at the yard. Right now we are weighing an X 4.9 as our other option.
Tom Catalano
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 00:14
I moved to a 575 and did NOT go with the furling boom.   I found it ungodly expensive.    

I put a Leisurefurl boom on our boat and with the savings bought HPM / EPEX sails with money still left over.     The leisurefurl boom works great.   Not sure where you are located (US or other?) but I can talk to you over the phone about it if you want.

Depending upon the time of year,  I'd advise you to get it out of Greifswald as quickly as possible.   Go over and check it out (obviously) but minimize the post-factory work if its coming ready in the spring.   Lots of delays as locals wanting to start their short, Baltic Sea, sailing season push for launches and work to be done.   My boat spent 2 months after it left the factory before it finally left Greifswald.   Not always the case, but be careful.

See pictures

Edited by Black Diamond - 13 March 2018 at 00:24
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
tobo2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2018 at 16:39
Hanse is asking € 74'000 for their furling boom system (!) on the 548. Wow! What does that include? E-drive, laminate sail, kevlar boom? how expensive are alternatives,  i.e. Furlerboom Denmark, Hall spars?

Edited by tobo2 - 17 March 2018 at 16:40
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2018 at 21:20
74,000 Euro?   That's a lot.    Even if its electric (I didn't think so) we didn't think it necessary as the lines are run aft and the electric winch makes easy work of it.

It was $57,000 US when we were building our 575.     It did not include sails.  It was a "Furlboom" system.   A good system, but I had the Leisurefurl on my last boat (a Hylas 49) and liked it for 10 years.    My set up cost *HALF* that,  including installation.   My purchase included the FCL sails but I used the savings on the boom to pay for HPM sails,  which I like better.

I'm not qualified to comment on the Hanse system in terms of quality or usage, but I am very happy with our going in a different direction.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
tobo2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2018 at 16:19
Dear Catarch,
I'm still waitung for the 548-section and to get some experiences from buyers. If you decide for the 548 let us know.

Edited by tobo2 - 02 April 2018 at 16:22
 Post Reply Post Reply