myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sonar transducer new 315

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samtutuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sonar transducer new 315
    Posted: 23 February 2018 at 11:48
I would like to know how owners of a 2016 year model 315 have set up their sonar offset. Adjusted to waterline, or adjusted to bottom of keel or no offset?

To do this accurately one needs to know the position of the transducer in relation to the design water line or better still in relation to the bottom of the keel. Has any one obtained an accurate dimension?

I have set mine up to display depth under the keel but on a recent visit to new waters (ie not previously visited by me) I proceeded with utmost caution and not only got a 0.0 on the depth but upto a -0.8. Yes -0.8!!

I did not run aground or even kiss the seabed but I was highly stressed. I am home now but I think I entered an offset of -1.5m into the Triton2 display but something is clearly wrong.

My first step is to obtain if possible an accurate verticle dimension from face of depth transducer to underside of keel. If anyone has this information I would be happy to receive it.

And just to aid the search I am talking about the sonar, echo sounder or depth transducer.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Scotchmist View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2018 at 12:03
 Hi Samtutuki
On my 312 the depth sounder was located just to the side of the keel and therefore to offset for keel depth was the same as the keel depth. 
Andrew

Scotch Mischief Dehler 38 by Hanse
fiddler View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2018 at 21:27
Everyone has their own preferences, but I measured the depth in the marina with an old fashioned lead-line,  and set the sonar to the same value.  This means that the Sonar records depth-below-surface,  and I know that I my 311 needs 1.8m.   Depth of transducer doesn't matter that way..

Regards 
Samtutuki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samtutuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2018 at 21:58
That’s a neat solution provided the vessel displacement doesn’t change. Ie. more or less fuel, more or less water, more or less people.
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2018 at 05:13
After commissioning it took me a while to be satisfied that the depth displays were working as I required.  I like my instruments to show the actual water depth and this requires that you know the offset from the waterline to the transducer.  In my case (H385) this is approximately 0.3m so the offset that I use is +0.3.  I don't think it is necessary to worry about the small discrepancies caused by additional fuel or water, however if this does concern you I think you will have to adjust your instruments to show depth under keel rather than actual water depth using a negative offset.

The complications occur as I found it was possible to set up the offset on either of my 2 Triton instruments and on the Zeus2 MFD and also on the transducer itself.  It is a few years since I unravelled all of this but from memory setting an offset on one of the the Triton displays had no effect on the 2nd Triton or the Zeus.  It was only when I set the offset directly on the transducer and removed the Triton and Zeus configurations that all my instruments gave a consistent reading.

I think this is done by looking at the NMEA network devices and then setting the properties on the DST device itself.

I have to say this is an area where Inspiration Marine (my dealer and commissioner) let themselves down badly.  They advised that as all boats come with different instrument systems they were not prepared to give any assistance in configuring or explaining the use of any of the instruments.  As Hanse install B&G in all their models I found this response very disappointing.  I would expect them to be able to advise how to load the MMSI number into the radio and set the depth offset correctly at the very least.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Snow White View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2018 at 15:23
For a few centimeters ?
Have a good Day.
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 09:09
Originally posted by S&J S&J wrote:

I would expect them to be able to advise how to load the MMSI number into the radio and set the depth offset correctly at the very least.

On the contrary. They are doing you a favour by making you learn how to do it yourself. That way you become more proficient at using the equipment faster. That must be better than becoming complacent & then not knowing at an important time when you might need to know

Edited by samuel - 26 February 2018 at 09:10
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Snow White View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 13:04
S&J wrote....

.. to advise HOW to load ...   Right ?

Have a good Day.
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 14:09
Originally posted by Snow White Snow White wrote:

S&J wrote....

.. to advise HOW to load ...   Right ?

RTFM ??Thumbs Up

Edited by samuel - 26 February 2018 at 14:42
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 14:49
As both the OP and myself have discovered, the B&G manuals are far from complete.  Although they might explain the basics of individual instruments they do not explain how to set the depth offset in a single setting that will propagate to all displays.
Another example is the very simplistic explanation of the SailSteer page on the Zeus2.  I have never managed to work out what the P and S values mean at the top right of the display.  I had expected them to show the time to sail on port and starboard tacks but the values shown bear no correlation to the total time to sail.
Inspiration charged me GBP1,500 to send someone from the UK for my commissioning in Greifswald.  I did not think I got very good value for my money as they did not actually do anything other than a 3 hour handover sail with me. All additional commissioning tasks were simply handed over to W&R and then invoiced to me.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>