myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yanmar 3JH4E Exhaust Elbow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yanmar 3JH4E Exhaust Elbow
    Posted: 26 February 2018 at 23:29
HEllo

I have just bought a replacement elbow and it appears that the original one has a different offset. I have checked photos etc of new engines and they all the same offset. The one off my engine tends to point straight. Do all Hanse installations have the straight option  ? Was the exhaust elbow modified during installation ? The weld on the 'old' one is a repair job as the weld was cracking.

Confused Neil
Hanse 400 2007 - Back in NZ
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 22:47
i guess as long as the mating flange is the same and you have the room for the slightly different hose angle it shouldn't make any difference really.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
neilbay View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2018 at 00:34
Hi 
May have to cut the back board to adjust the angle. Could not get it to fit easily.
The new one seems to be better than the Yanmar item and was a lot cheaper. Yanmar quoted NZD800.
Do you have a Yanmar 3JH4E ? 
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2018 at 00:38
I have 3JH5E, mine is straight like your original, maybe get it cut and welded locally or have you tried ebay for straight one?
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
neilbay View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2018 at 01:23
Hi - Not been able to find a straight one. I will probably look at making the exhaust hose fit a straight and the new one. 

Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 01:41
I just checked on my 400 from 2006 with 3JH4E, it is also straight.
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2022 at 22:48
Anyone found a source for the straight version of the 3JH exhaust mixer elbow?  Looks like the ‘standard’ from Yanmar is now angled. The only choice to get the straight option is to use the high rise elbow. That’s 2-3 times more expensive. I’ll buy the angled version and get the flange cut & re-welded if I can’t source one. 
Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2022 at 22:43
Answering my own question in part in case someone else is struggling for a direct replacement. The latest part number of the straight mixer elbow on the 3JH and 4JH Yanmars is 129470-13531. It looks like this part was originally targeted at the 4JH engine but does appear to fit the 3JH. So far, I’ve found just one example available. Sadly it’s on a shelf in Australia & I’m in the UK!  HDI Marine and exhaustelbows.com may make them up for less. Just waiting on a confirmation. Still means importing from the US. 

Mark
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2022 at 06:55
Hi Mark, for what it’s worth I had exhaust elbow make me a replacement elbow for the 3YM20 on my last boat and they did a nice job (looked better than original!) and cost less. It arrived after a few weeks and no problems getting it to the UK. Would buy from them again 
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2022 at 10:54
Finally went with a custom part from Ben at https://exhaustelbow.com/ in the US. Much cheaper than a Yanmar part, delivered in a week to the UK and very pleased with the quality. Ben doesn’t show the straight version on his website but if you drop him a note he will convert an angled to a straight version. Can’t complain, he even did it for the same price he lists for the standard part!

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply