myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cut holes to access bilge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 15:45
Wet Vac, you can place a 3/4" pipe in to the hole behind the last keel bolt section, just had to do this today to my H400, issues with the stringer matrix coming unstuck means that water has come from anywhere and collected aft of the keel area.

A 3/4 pipe pushed in about 6" then attached to a wet vac removed around 50L of water, this was not seen in any great volume anywhere else in the boat, clearly not a great design by Hanse.
Silver lining View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver lining Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 16:37
Guys - just on this topic .
Hanse 400e - 2007
I have just noticed 2 weeks ago under the sink, where sea cock is , about 1 inch of water, when I bend down and look forward with a torch it seems to be in the next box section i.e under the saloon table ?
I sponged most of it out, all being I cannot reach under the saloon table floor boards.
This was not here last year ?
Two things which spring to mind :

1. We took a massive wave over the entire boat in may, and nearly washed a crew member over board !
 ?
2. I removed the Deck covers over the halyards to power hose all the dirt, they have not been off since factory ?

Most of the water has been moped up (apart from the forward section - which will be a winter project !)
and it has stayed that way .

Thanks
'Silver Lining' 400e #199
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 19:52
When my 370 was a few years old I found water in areas that did not drain to the bilge and which were inaccessible. Eventually the water would seep under the floorboards in the aft cabin and there was water sloshing around an inch or so deep in the aft cabin. After trying everything, Hanse finally suggested checking the seal between the outer and inner hulls where a circle was cut out to mount the saildrive.  We found that the seal between those hulls had broken and that was the source of the water intrusion. My local yard repaired it and it has never been a problem since.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver lining Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 23:28
Thanks @ silver sailor -
I will check the aft cabins , although the water seems to be located starboard side forward.
I think I can remove the storage box under the seat base , just in front
Of the galley - the water seems dirty , almost brown in Color - with no smell ? As if it’s been there for some time ?
I am completely puzzled ... but since mopping it up , it’s almost disappeared .
I would love to know the source of entry though
It’s sea water , and not fresh water .
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 01:32
When the area between the hulls was cleaned out there was lots of debris including fine wood filings that made the water brown.  It's possible that your seal is not broken completely and that you only take on water when you are heeled a particular way and at a spped sufficient to but strain in the seal. Worth checking out if the problem continues.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver lining Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 07:48
Will do , thankyou
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 12:48
I have written a number of articles for the Practical boat Owner magazine recently & in the summer issue Number 628 i wrote about a wandering hose solution to remove small quantities of water from areas of bilges such as those that you show. I also use mine for water that collects under the engine etc and similar spillages
I cannot publish the text as I am under contract to PBO; but basically you insert a hoselock fitting in the shower hose pipe just before the pump. I actually fitted a bit of extra pipe in before the pump to make it easier to get the hoselock in. I then obtained a 10 ft length (need longer for bigger boat) of hose of the same diameter & fitted a hoselock connector so that I could swop the shower hose to the new hose easily.
On the other end of the hose I put a 300mm length of copper gas pipe (longer for deeper bilge)& a gas pipe fitting & put this into the end of the pipe & held it with a jubilee clip.
I drilled an 8mm hole in the floor on a veneer line so it does not show.
Poke the copper pipe in vertically until it reaches the floor. Turn on the shower pump & suck out the water. Being only 8mm diameter it sucks up water to a depth of 1mm
It can be moved about the boat including under the engine & if there is a lot under the engine then take the copper pipe off & use the full diameter. if the hose does not want to prime immediately then stick it in a sink of water to prime it first
It is handy for any spills about the boat. I have even drained the heads when i have had problems provided there has been nothing solid in the water
When done just re connect the shower hose

Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12