myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Better than new lower bearing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better than new lower bearing
    Posted: 24 March 2018 at 09:24
We had a problem with the lower bearing.

So the idea was to drop the rudder and change this bearing. First we got the boat high enough. Next step was to loosen the nuts of the top bearing. Then it should be easy to drop the rudder..... well not!

The rudder did not want to drop. Not a millimeter.. we took some wood and a hammer. Nothing happend.

Because we had to order a new bearing we decided to use some force and break or cut the bearing open. Now the rudder got some space and it could be removed. Yeah!

Next step is to order a new one from Jefa. It would be in the Netherlands within 5 days. So it looks that we can set sail early spring.

Koppiekrou View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2018 at 20:59
New ball bearing from Jefa in place. Seems that this was a simple problem... fixed!
291 4Ever - 341 Eternal Flame and now a Hanse 371 '05 Karma - Shoal draft - 2 cabin - 40hp - Variprofile
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 08:23
Hello,

May i ask some question, think we can learn something out of your case.

What was the root cause you decided this repair ?

What is the age of this rudder ? how many years already in the water ?

I see there is a lot of ( galvanic ) corrosion on the rudder stock, was the rudder connected with a ground wire ? the yellow green one ?

I cannot see the plastic ring between the rudder and the bearing, was this not in place ? This should be a spacer or distance keeper to prevent the rudder floating up and scratching the hull.

thanks,
/C
Best regards
/C
leif View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 13:56
I have also corrosion on rudder stock on Hanse 371 from 2003

Any ideas how to stop further corrosion ? ( and maybe to repair or secure rudder stock)? I see no wire

Leif
jeb View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 15:46
On my previous boat, a 371 from 2004, I removed the rudder. I also had problems getting it out. I found that the problem was the upper bearing that is of a non-self centering type. The problem is that the surface in the cookpit floor where the upper bearing is mounted is not 90 deg to the rudderpost. My solution was to loosen the 4 screws. The flexing of the sikaflex was then enougt for the bearing to be aligned. I would guess that there was some problems putting the rudder back as well!?
Jesper
Hanse 400e
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 15:48
You do not need a plastic ring if there is a split metal ring placed just under the top bearing. This,in my mind, is a far better option as it is stronger. It does need a thin plastic washer between it & the top bearing though to stop metal to metal wear
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2018 at 17:59
There have been many discussions about the grounding of the shaft. Some models were grounded initially and then an advisory was issued to remove them. Have a look at this article. 
http://www.jefa.com/electro-f.htm

Note the advise: This is the reason that we can only advise to make sure the rudder shaft is completely electrically disconnected from the rest of the vessel. Often this connection in made without the awareness of the boat owner.
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 06:42
To prevent corrosion i installed a zinc anode separately and only for the steering system, no other connections are on it !  Already after the first season it was really visible, the anode goes in solution !
I had a beginning of corrosion on different parts what stopped immediately.
As Rubato wrote above, look to the Jefa instructions, they understand the details Thumbs Up

So far my experience.

Happy sailing !!

Best regards
/C
Koppiekrou View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 21:49
Hi Carlo,

I had to replace the lower bearing because the rudder could not be moved of turned. Karma had been out of the water for the last two years. When water dries a small residue is left. This can cause problems. This is also visible in badrooms. Don’t know how to explain it.

Karma is from 2005 but as written above she has only been in the water in summertime and kept on the hard I wintertime. The last years she did not see any water at all.

It looks like corrosion but in fact it was a lot of antifouling. Just sandpapered it and it looks like new. Hardy no corrosion.

There was no plastic ring and it don’t belong there. This Jefa rudder is fixed with there nuts in the top bearing. Will take some pictures this weekend.

291 4Ever - 341 Eternal Flame and now a Hanse 371 '05 Karma - Shoal draft - 2 cabin - 40hp - Variprofile
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2018 at 06:33
Hello,

thanks for the answers, gives me some more extra info and proof the rudder stock does not that easy gets affected  Thumbs Up

Best regards,
Carlo
Best regards
/C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>