myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

105% Genoa?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 105% Genoa?
    Posted: 04 April 2018 at 08:27
Hi Guys,
Just looking at increasing performance in the lighter airs but not keen on the expense of a code 0. I was thinking of getting an overlapping headsail which I would just leave furled in place of the self tacker. 
I noticed that the standard 105% option is only about 5 to 6sqm larger than the self tacker. I have the tracks for this sail installed so it would be an easy fit, but is it it really worth it for only another 5-6sqm of sail? Does anyone have any experience here?
Thanks a lot!!!
Scotchmist View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 14:30
Hi Jeremy

Not sure what Hanse model you have, perhaps it doesn't matter for these purposes. On my 312 we bought a 130% genoa, made of lighter weight cloth. Whilst the standard self tacker (we called it the blade) was good for anything above about 8 knots, below that we needed the bigger sail. It worked a treat.  
Andrew

Scotch Mischief Dehler 38 by Hanse
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 14:52
we have a 105 on our 385, but it is a better cloth than the self tacker as well as being slightly bigger.  It is a much better sail to sail with because I have fitted adjustable cars on the tracks so i can control the sail shape when cracked off the wind.  In hindsight i would have exchanged the self tacker for the 105 and not had a self tacker at all, but we had it because we thought we would use it when short handed.  in fact if im on my own i use the autopilot to tack the boat and set the 105 onto the new tack myself.  when sailing with the first mate (wife) she tacks the boat and i do the sail.  Having said all that, if you already have the self tacker i would seriously consider getting the furlstrom or an alternative furling gennaker, it makes a huge difference to beam and broad reaching, and we fly ours goose winged straight down wind in lighter airs.  I'm not sure i would go for a 'proper' stiff code 0 made of very fancy material unless you race, or have lots of money, or both.  We are very happy with our wardrobe of 105, furlstrom for cruising and a full A2 asymmetric spinnaker (which we use when racing or when we have more than 2 people on board who know what they are doing, as we drop it through the forward hatch without snuffing of any kind).  For completeness i would say that a furling gennaker with the torsion line sewn into the luff is way better than a top down furler on a free flying sail, we have tried both and the former has never failed to furl, whereas the latter does require more careful furling and we have had it stuck.  Hope this helps.
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 17:39
For what it is worth, here are my subjective bits on the 400
- I only use the original self tacker for cruising. It's still in good shape so I haven't moved to replace it. When I do it will be with another self tacker, as large as possible (vertical battens?) in a much better cloth/design. It still keeps the boat moving in less than 10 knots but I'm usually motoring or motor/sailing main only in less than 7-8  knots.
- For racing we have a 108% on cabin top tracks. Sheeting angle would be far too wide to anything on the side deck. This sail is competitive above 14 knots true.
- Also for racing, and below 14 knots, we have a ~129% overlapping sail. Even that sail is not competitive in less than 8 knots of breeze

So if all you're doing is cruising and your self tack is in good shape for now, I personally wouldn't spend $5K for a few extra sq meters of sail area. You really won't notice it much at all.

Steve

Edited by Rubato - 04 April 2018 at 17:40
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
plattgatt View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plattgatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2018 at 16:41
KlatschenKlatschen
370#641 "aqua d`or"
Jeremy View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2018 at 01:59
Thanks for all your help. This all makes sense. I may just keep an eye out for something used.
Jeremy
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 00:19
Hi Jeremy congratulations on your 415 and moving up from your 350.

I think we were sailing back across to Gulf Harbour from Rakino a couple of weekends back side by side (I have a 400 down in the canal).

Talk to Doyles, their new code 0 technology means no luff rope reducing cost to build, reducing weight and ultimately you will get a sail that you can hoist and leave furled if cruising and get benefit of in light airs. Whilst not ideally a downwind sail its significantly more effective than Self tacker and much easier to handle than gennaker.

Edited by StavrosNZ - 26 April 2018 at 00:29
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Jeremy View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2018 at 21:46
Hi Stephen.
Thanks for that, really enjoying the 415, a nice upgrade from the 350. We took it down to the south island over summer, down there the extra hull length made a big difference.
You must own Vilanelle then?
Ill talk to Doyles about that code zero, Id assume Id have to install a masthead forward halyard.

Jeremy
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 05:09
Yes Villanelle correct, depends on how close your spinnaker halyard is to top of the forestay, if you have clearance you may be able to get a swivel in spinnaker halyard and use that otherwise it may be  a new halyard box and halyard but these can be fitted with the mast in.

Doyles are pricing one for em as well and i will likely fit removable Selden gennaker prod to get both gennaker and Code 0 forward of the forestay and open up the gap between the main.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
J&J View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 08:07
Hi haven't logged on for a while we have a 105 on Good Chanse and it definitely makes a difference the extra 5 or so square meters means we can keep up with a 400 down to around 10 knots of wind we brought ours from Doyle's and very happy with it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>